DX  » Community » Reviews » PIXEL External Flash Battery Pack for Canon 580EXII/580EX/550EX/MR-14EX/MT-24EX (4*AA/8*AA)
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 5
  • Price: 5
  • Quality: 4
  • Ease Of Use: 5
  • Usefulness: 5
A very worthwhile product – PIXEL External Flash Battery Pack for Canon 580EXII/580EX/550EX/MR-14EX/MT-24EX (4*AA/8*AA) Reviews

posted by Whortleberry on 03/10/2012 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:
Lightweight -very little more than the weight of the batteries alone.
Decent length of cable from pack to flash - no restrictions on movement even if the pack is on your belt and the flash held above your head at arm's length.
Smooth contours which don't snag on clothing when rushing a shot.
Plug to flash seats extremely firmly and seals with rubber shroud.
Battery fitment very positive - two individual banks, well seperated physically (obverse and reverse of tray).
Batteries click very positively in place, no sloppy connections - tray contacts positively to pack when inserted.
Recycles the flash extremely rapidly - set to quarter power, the pack will keep up with an 8fps camera (but don't do it too much and ruin your flash!)
Cons:
Well, this is a lot harder than listing the 'Pros'!
Far from vital, but an on/off switch would be reassuring instead of relying solely on unplugging from the flash.
The catch for the battery tray is slightly 'clicky' to lock in place - something which a tiny amount of wear will probably cure.
The belt loop on the case is a little bit tight for a 2" belt (now that's getting really picky!)
Two press-studs to secure the bottom flap on the case would be more reassuring, especially as the current one is plastic.
That's it - and they really took some thought.
Other:
It's a really good product.
It's a really, really good product for the price.
I've already recommended it to three people who are placing orders for multiple packs.
The CANON version makes a very slight ticking noise, neither Nikon versions do - but this is a function of the Canon flash circuitry and not a fault with the Pixel design or fabrication.
Bottomline:
Offers enhanced performance over camera makers external flash pack at a fraction of the cost.
Better than the camera maker's offering; cheaper than the camera maker's offering - if you actually NEED an additional power source for your flash then this is the one I'd recommend.
Forty years professional experience have made me very critical and this product fulfilled every single one of my requirements.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections