DX  » Community » Reviews » High Power 802.11 n/b/g 300Mbps USB 2.0 WiFi Wireless Network Dongle
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 3
  • Price: 5
  • Quality: 4
  • Ease Of Use: 3
  • Usefulness: 2
Your Milage May Vary – High Power 802.11a/n/b/g 300Mbps USB 2.0 WiFi Wireless Network Dongle Reviews

posted by Axman6 on 06/07/2010 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:less than 1 day

Pros:
Seems to be quite powerful. I bought it with another directional antenna, but found that the one that comes with it works really well.
Comes with a copy of BackTrack linux 3, and the "user manual" consists of one pane on how to install the drivers on windows, and 6 panes showing how to use Backtrack to crack people's wifi.
Cons:
It says it supports Mac OS X, but the tools are completely broken on 10.6 Snow Leopard. All I could get it to do was scan and find AP's, I could not join them (the app just crashed when attempting to do so)
Basically the tools seem pretty bad on all platforms it supports, Windows, OS X and Linux, though the windows tools actually work, and i managed to make a connection to my AP.
Other:
Wait until the drivers are decent, because they're pretty crap at the moment. If you plan on using it on OS X or Linux, you're better off finding something else.
Bottomline:
If you're using it for windows, and don't want to do anything more advanced than connect to wireless access points you're allowed to, then it's a great, powerful tool. Otherwise, find something else.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections