DX  » Community » Reviews » SpaceRail DIY Physics Space Ball Rollercoaster with Powered Elevator (10000mm Rail)
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 4
  • Price: 5
  • Quality: 4
  • Ease Of Use: 4
  • Usefulness: 4
Using all of the supplied track – SpaceRail DIY Physics Space Ball Rollercoaster with Powered Elevator (10000mm Rail) Reviews

posted by Pouhek on 01/28/2011 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:
- Very good schematics for assembly (excluding written instruction which are not so good), no need to read text instructions - A lot of different designs are possible if only you have the time and ideas to make it happen - Nicely packed, all the same pieces in it's own bag so it's easy to put individual parts together - Good build quality
Cons:
- A few extra 'spare parts' would be nice to have, especially if you want to use all of the track supplied - Some 'lock handles' are difficult to put together without breaking a part of it but it's easily fixed with a knife, just don't be too aggresive with it - The elevator motor is quite noisy but you get used to it after a while, I'm sure this could be done better but for this price I'm ok with it
Other:
All in all it's a good value for your money, especially when you look some other prices around the web for the same product. This 'toy' totally overwhelmed me for like 6 hours, you get really creative with it, I was thinking all the time how could I improve it and in the end I did. USING ALL OF THE TRACK SUPPLIED: When I read here on DX forum that with the schematic supplied for this Spacerail you only use around 75% of the track supplied I began to wonder if I really want to use original design. After some thinking and calculating with the parts and track I figured I will make 2 tracks: the first original one with the loop and then I'll see what I can do from there with the second track. The first one took me less then half an hour to construct, the second one by my design took me around 2-3 hours including time spent on coming up with design that would work. I must say it payed of in the end, I used almost all of the supplied track, only around 10cm left which is nothing compared to over 2 meters with the original design. But it's quite tricky to get it working just right, it would be easier with some extra parts. I will upload a video in the near future so you can see how it looks like and maybe try it on your own.
Bottomline:
Enjoyable to put together, rewarding at the end, relaxing to watch it work over and over again.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections