DX  » Community » Reviews » 2.4GHz 30dBm 802.11b/g SMA Signal Booster / Range Extender for Wifi/WLAN Wireless AP and Routers
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 4
  • Price: 5
  • Quality: 5
  • Ease Of Use: 5
  • Usefulness: 3
It does what it says – 2.4GHz 30dBm 802.11b/g SMA Signal Booster / Range Extender for Wifi/WLAN Wireless AP and Routers Reviews

posted by PreviousN on 02/24/2010 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:
Pros: * Cheap * Uses a Standard connector * Actually works. Before connecting I got ~55dBm. After connecting I got ~48dBm. The closer to 0, the better. * It's small. * OS independent. * Comes with a short pigtail that isn't really needed - but I guess that's a good thing.
Cons:
Cons: * Not useful unless you mount it somewhere. You won't want to carry this around with your laptop (especially since it only works with wifi cards that have external antenna adapters). * It needs to be plugged in when in use. This is the case with all wifi amplifiers, so not really a con I guess.
Other:
I bought this to try and connect my neighbor's network with my own so that we can share music, movies, etc via Wifi. I have a directional antenna that I hook this up with, but so far I've been unable to make the link. I'm sure I could do it if my antenna were an outside antenna and if I had a lot of time to go back and forth between houses to do aiming. But so far, no dice.
Bottomline:
It does what it says. And the price is very good. I'd say that if you've any interest in Wireless tech, or if you are having connectivity issues, buy this. Alternatively, you could buy a better antenna. I'd compare price/performance, depending on the price of this vs. an antenna.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections