DX  » Community » Reviews » Foldable 1.3 Mega Pixel PC USB Webcam with Microphone (Driver-Free)
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 4
  • Price: 3
  • Quality: 3
  • Ease Of Use: 5
  • Usefulness: 4
Decent Web-cam – Foldable 1.3 Mega Pixel PC USB Webcam with Microphone (Driver-Free) Reviews

posted by zkinx6 on 07/09/2010 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:less than 1 day

Pros:
-Driver-less, Plug and play
*tested plug and play, compatible with
-Windows 7 64bit, w/ skype
-Ubuntu 9.10linux 32bit, w/ cheese web-cam booth
-Mac OS X 10.5.8, w/ Photobooth & Skype
-the flip open is a nice feature
-looks stylish
-mic has alright response
-OK video and picture quality(like a cellphone camera)
-video has good brightness
-usb cable is 4ft 6in long
-it swivels on its base(not smoothly)
-base has a rubber non slip bottom
Cons:
-the mechanism to flip the camera open( it pivots on a small rod held together with a screw on one end and a nut attached to the rod on the other)sticks and is hard to open. when i loosened the screw it helped
-it squeaks when you open and close it
-when i shake it something rattles inside
-video quality is less than advertised(more like 15-18fps and a resolution of 352 x 288, but it can take pictures at 640x480)
-the "camera button" is just a piece of plastic and is connected to nothing but some hot glue.
after opening the case i found what was rattling, it it had a small plastic cable tie that had fallen off the cables it was holding together. Also the circuit bored for the camera is held in place with a very generous amount of hot glue.
Other:
I got this today and its an alright web-cam.
It looks nice next to my speakers and monitor(both black with silver trim) and it is pretty small. i plan to use it mainly for surveillance and an occasional video chat. But i may buy another web-cam for video chat, the quality is OK but not great, or really even that good.
Also the circuit bored for the camera is held in place with a very generous amount of hot glue. and the mic is right behind the camer and not where the 5 little holes are on the front panel.
I would have liked it to have a flash.
Bottomline:
not sure i recommend this, its compatible with all my machines but the quality is not very good. (although acceptable for the price).

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections