DX  » Community » Reviews » Mini DisplayPort DP Male to DVI Male Adapter Cable (1.8M)
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 5
  • Price: 5
  • Quality: 4
  • Ease Of Use: 4
  • Usefulness: 5
Works great, cheaper than the official Apple way – Mini DisplayPort DP Male to DVI Male Adapter Cable (1.8M) Reviews

posted by Xudonax on 07/21/2010 Certified Owner

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:
A real plug&play solution to connect a MacBook Pro with mini DisplayPort to a generic DVI screen. Just plug it in (and wait for the graphics card to switch on newer MacBook Pro's) and you've got yourself a working external display
Cons:
Not really, the only thing I can think of is that it refuses to work on my Samsung SyncMaster T220HD when plugged into the DVI port. Connecting it to the HDMI port using a generic DVI=>HDMI adapter makes it work. But a LG W2042 and a Philips (unknown model) screen just work, so I guess this if just a problem with my Samsung.
Other:
Real cheap when compared to the official Apple adapter. And with that adapter you only get a female plug, so you have to buy a DVI cable (another $20 or so here). So for the official Apple solution, you'd have to spend about $50, while this is under $20.
Bottomline:
Great product, good quality. It just works.
And remember, on new MacBook Pro's it can take a while (up to 30 seconds in my case) to switch to the discrete GPU for use of an external screen...

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections