DX  » Community » Reviews » TrustFire ST-50 SST-50 5-Mode 1300-Lumen Memory LED Flashlight (2*18650)
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 5
  • Price: 5
  • Quality: 5
  • Ease Of Use: 5
  • Usefulness: 4
Surprisingly Bright, Well-Made Light! – TrustFire ST-50 SST-50 5-Mode 1300-Lumen Memory LED Flashlight (2*18650) Reviews

posted by TxCharlie on 03/26/2011 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:
Very good build quality it seems - Excellent heat sink to prevent the LED from oveheating, Blows my Magliht out of the water and rips it to shreads. The memory works well - Everytime I turn it on, it gies ack to the mode I had it on last. I REALLY like that! The first mode I always used is bright when I was doing car stops and takedowns, and it must always come up in that mode. The other modes, such as strobe, are good for tactical entry. Likewise, when I turn it on, it must go into that mode the first time, Unlike my AUrora P7 - When I was patrolling with a P7, it was like playing roller roulette trying to get it to go into the right mode as I walked upon the car I had just stopped. I've only tried it with Li-Ion cells so far. In heavy duty applications, I will be changing it to the safer LiPoSO4 cells to prevent explosions that sometimes happen when Ll-Ion cells get shot or severely dented. Heavy and perhaps durable enough to be used as a short baton. similar to the way a Maglight can be used,
Cons:
No cons at all, so far - more heavy than a tactical light, but for the power I'll take it! I always carry a couple of spare tactical lights anyway, so I'm not overly concerned if this light malfunctions - But it hasn't so far.
Other:
I'd like to be able to buy a leather police duty belt holder for it - It will fit in my Baton holder, but won't snap in. Maglight holder is too large and not secure in a fight. Shotgun mount for a Rem 370 is also something I'd try to see if the build quality to handle the rcoil. I think the weight would make the shotgun kick a lot less tooL Meanicing look - A good thing in police and security work! - I've had several ask me if it's a new ray gun. That's not far from the truth - Blast that thing at someone's eyes, and it'll kill their night vision for a good 15 minutes.
Bottomline:
Looks very good all the way around. It could use some thicker cells just so the body dismater matched the MagLite, but I love the Li rechargables. I can keep charhed Li-Ion around for weeks and depend on them, whereas even the new lo-discharge NiMH betteries that MagLite uses will drain pretty fast in the heat even with the switch turned off. The Li-Ion's used in this flashlight don't have nearly the self-discharge rate, so they are much more dependable.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections