• Price: 5
  • Quality: 4
  • Ease Of Use: 5
  • Usefulness: 5
Great little light – 3-LED Bike Safety Strobe Light Reviews

posted by icerabbitje on 01/06/2011 Certified Owner

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:
Inexpensive, bright (not blinding, but pretty bright) compact, 2 standard AAA batteries, includes bike mount, 3 modes (all on, all blink at the same time / strobe, fast strobe back & forth 1 LED at a time) Purchased three and they all work. Batteries seem to last a while. Several hours over a few months in cold & freezing weather, they're still going strong.
Cons:
Not really cons, but observations on the negative side. The tiny on/off button can be hard to operate (can't do it with gloves) and sometimes seems to get stuck a little. I don't know if this would be really rain proof as it doesn't seal all that tight ... but maybe it doesn't need it. Mine have held up during light snow. In side by side comparison in the day and night, the silver reflector inside doesn't improve anything and on a wider viewing angle actually impairs light output, so I've removed them from my lights, since I want the LEDs to be as bright as possible at any angle. I have some durability reservations about the plastic slide mount. I might like something better if I were to use this as a daily bike light. It is not rugged and doesn't secure the light part that well, but it gets the job done. So far it has survived the occasional bump during winter & below freezing temperatures. For the price ... not really cons. But, one time one light did fall off its mount, in the driveway, must have touched or brushed it unintentionally ... hence my reservation as a primary bike light. I'd look at doing extra to make sure it doesn't fall off.
Other:
I purchased three of these to use on the back of my snow blowing rig ( which had no lights ... and I didn't want to get into wiring any lights) I use two spaced 4ft apart, 5ft high, on strobe and they are visible from several hundred feet away. Without being a biker, or having anything to compare this to directly; in brightness and visibility, I'd say they compare to the average red blinking bike light I've seen used on the road. I wouldn't hesitate to put these on any bike.
Bottomline:
All in all I'm very happy with these. Especially for the price, because they are the solution to my lighting upgrade and allow me to move snow safer at the end of the driveway, along curb and the mailbox.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections