DX  » Community » Reviews » TrustFire R5-A3 Cree XP-G-R5 3-Mode 230-Lumen Memory LED Flashlight (1*AA/1*14500)
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 4
  • Price: 4
  • Quality: 4
  • Ease Of Use: 4
  • Usefulness: 5
The only R5 AA on DX – TrustFire R5-A3 Cree XP-E-R5 3-Mode 230-Lumen Memory LED Flashlight (1*AA/1*14500) Reviews

posted by Darkblade48 on 01/29/2011 Certified Owner

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:
A decent flashlight. Uses the newer R5 Cree LEDs. It is a three mode (high, low, high strobe) flashlight. The memory function works well, and is quite simple to use. It comes with a built in clip which can be useful for clipping to pockets, bags, shirt pockets, etc. The push button and O-rings are glow in the dark. Finally, the threading came pre-lubricated.
Cons:
The price is a little high. While it is the only AA/14500 flashlight on DX (as of the writing of this) that uses the R5 Cree LED, it is hard to justify the increase in cost. On low and strobe mode, the flashlight buzzes enough that it is audible if the flashlight is held to the ear.
Other:
This flashlight has a reverse clicky. It can tailstand. The modes of the flashlight are still intact, even if using 14500 batteries (AA batteries will still give you modes, of course). Protected 14500 batteries do fit (I use sku.26124). The clip is a simple wire clip, so may be a little flimsy and probably cannot stand up to much abuse. There are also no hole cutouts for a lanyard. The tailcap O-ring came to me shredded and completely destroyed. It had to be replaced (I used a 16 mm glow in the dark O-ring, sku.3445; but you can use any other 16 mm O-ring such as sku.5592)
Bottomline:
Not a bad flashlight, it being the first R5 LED AA/14500 flashlight on DealExtreme. A slightly lower price would be more attractive, but in the meantime, a good everyday carry flashlight.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections