Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month
- Switched power supply (high efficiency);
- Good build quality;
- DC output is electrically isolated from AC input;
- Driver doesn't burn out if powered on without workload (although I didn't test it in this mode for a long time)
- Doen't produce too much heat even when continiously loaded (no need for any heat dissipator).
- No direct control of the output voltage/current. The inverse feedback is done through the coil that is used to produce oscillations (not through the output coil);
- No mounting holes.
I've used this driver to power sku.80512
This LED strip needs more power, so when I firstly connected it to the driver I got only 450 mA through the LEDs. Then I changed R3 to 4.7 KOhm (I've found this value by experimenting, original resistor was 5.1K) and got about 880 mA (that is close enough to 900 mA declared in the LED specs). Probably this is the maximum current this driver can produce (I got about 12.4 V at LED strip) since other values of R3 produced less current.
Good driver, especially for its price.
Also I've added 24 Ohm resistor in series with the AC input to reduce input rectifier peak load when connecting the driver to the AC power supply (this also removes a lot of sparks when inserting plug into the wall socket). While working, this resistor consumes only 2 V of input voltage, so I recommend everybody to modify the driver this way (10 - 20 Ohms is OK for it).
I recommend this driver to everybody who needs small switched power supply with 12V output and 500-900 mA load. Hope it will last long.
Note:Stock and Availability shown on this site is for your reference only. While
we strive to provide the most accurate and timely stock and availability information,
availability information may become out of date and may change between the time
you added an item to cart and the time your order is received.
Quantities on clearance items are limited. Prices are current at time of posting. DX Reserves the right to change prices at any time without notice.