Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week
- Much cheaper than any other cable tester I can buy here.
- It does its job
- It has a remote terminator, so you can test installed cables.
- AUTO feature changes the tested wire sequencially (you must use it if you are using the remote terminator).
- It has a cardboard box and instruction manual in English and Chinese (although it's pretty simple to operate)
- Easy to test RJ45 cables, difficult to test RJ11 though, it came with two small plastic adapters to fit the RJ11 plug into the RJ45 jack but they didn't work, it seems that these plastic pieces were not weel cut, you can test the RJ11 without the adapters, but they are really hard to unplug when you are done, so I advise you to look elsewhere if you are planning to test many RJ11 cables
- It tests one wire at a time, if you are testing a cross-over cable you will have to know the corresponding wires in the other tip
- If you are using the remote terminator, you don't have a feedback in the unit of what's going on, you will have to check the terminator
- No lights to say the cable is OK neither to say it is a crossover cable, like more expensive cables have. You have to check each wire one by one.
- Battery not included, and here in Brazil a single 9V battery costs as much as this unit itself.
- If the battery is a little weak, the unit works in TEST mode, but not in AUTO mode
- USB test does not include mini-usb jacks or adapters
There are other models you may check:
- a more expensive one which tests RJ45, RJ11, USB and Firewire
- a cheaper one which testes only RJ45 and RJ11
Hopefully one of them will support RJ11 cables correctly.
If you are a professional (or you are going to test RJ11 cables) you deserve a better tester, but if you are going to check just a few RJ45 cables at home or at your office once in a while, it totally worths it.
Note:Stock and Availability shown on this site is for your reference only. While
we strive to provide the most accurate and timely stock and availability information,
availability information may become out of date and may change between the time
you added an item to cart and the time your order is received.
Quantities on clearance items are limited. Prices are current at time of posting. DX Reserves the right to change prices at any time without notice.