DX  » Community » Reviews » Eastward YJ J09 Cree XP-G R5 3-Mode 240-Lumen LED Flashlight with Clip (1*AA)
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 4
  • Price: 3
  • Quality: 4
  • Ease Of Use: 5
  • Usefulness: 4
Good, but there's room for improvement. – Eastward YJ J09 Cree XP-G R5 3-Mode 240-Lumen LED Flashlight with Clip (1*AA) Reviews

posted by gadgetoholic on 04/22/2011 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:
+The light looks really nice, the size is just perfect and feels good in hand. +Really nice light with plenty of useful spill. +The threads came lubed. +Glass lens should survive the inside of my pocket without scratches. +XP-G R5 LED +Metal clicky. (read cons) +Solid clip. (read cons)
Cons:
-As others have mentioned the clicky rattles, makes the construction feel less nice, although I still like it better than a rubber one. Don't know about water resistance though. -Clip attached so strong that its not very removable, at least not without scratching the light. -Modes are useless (medium too strong, strobe too slow), whilst in medium the driver produces a high frequency sound. Would be way better in 1 mode.
Other:
It will act as my EDC light, the light coming from this is very useful.
Bottomline:
Considering the cons, the price should be lower, there are cheaper R5 alternatives to to buy without some of these problems. The Trustfire R5-A3 (sku.39062) and UniqueFire G10 (only 14 dollars, sku.55244) come to mind. Although if one wants a really good looking light this is still a decent buy.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections