DX  » Community » Reviews » Flood-to-Throw Cree Q3-WC Convex Lens LED Headlamp with Brightness Control (3*AAA)
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 5
  • Price: 5
  • Quality: 4
  • Ease Of Use: 5
  • Usefulness: 5
Excelent headlight, especially for this price! – Flood-to-Throw Cree Q3-WC Convex Lens LED Headlamp with Brightness Control (3*AAA) Reviews

posted by nerusit on 09/06/2011 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:
Good lightpower. It's really lightweight, so you nearly don't feel it during carrying. Lens and LED are held in real aluminium (grey parts of front module)!! No cheap plastic, so the heat is well spread and LED stays relatively cool even on full power. Battery cover is made from rubber, the rest of case (contains electronics too) is made from plastic. And it seems to be quite rainproof. Since the front module contains only LED and on/off switch, it could be probably rainproof too. No additional useless modes like blinking etc.. I consider it as pro, because I never needed those.
Cons:
The hinge for setting inclination is flimsy. And it provides only 4 angle settings which gives not much options. (0 deg. = straight ahead, 33, 66 and 90 degrees = down = only good for lighting your nose). It would be great if these 4 steps were between 0-40deg, which I used most with my previous headlight. There is no step-up converter. The electronics only regulates voltage from batteries down. So you will get full 3W only for a while even with fully charged batteries and then the lightpower will slowly fall as the batteries will get more and more discharged. (If there was a step-up converter, you'd be getting 3W continuously until batteries were fully discharged)
Other:
The color-temperature could be a little more yellow (warm white, I think about 3000K). Provided 6000K emitter has quite cold white color which is not much natural.
Bottomline:
For the price it is really good choice. It looks good and seems to be quite durable. Without the two cons I wrote, it could be super-good headlight and I would pay maybe 30USD for it.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections