Sort by:
31 Reviews SEARCH
  • 5 Star:5818 (58%)
  • 4 Star:3511 (35%)
  • 3 Star:62 (6%)
  • 2 Star:00 (0%)
  • 1 Star:00 (0%)

write a review, and get DXPoints

100% of customers would recommend this product to a friend.

• Overall Rating: 5
    • Price: 5
    • Quality: 5
    • Ease Of Use: 5
    • Usefulness: 5
    2 DXPoints
    earned for this post
    Works great in linux

posted by mysjkin on 07/24/2013 Certified Owner

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:
    Works straight out of the box with my debian / kernel 3.2.0 amd64 machine. Comes with two sata cables. Unbeatable price.
    Cons:
    The sata cables are the shortest I've ever seen, not usable in my server box (luckily I had some longer spares) Not Pci-e.
    View Detail » 
    2 DXPoints
    earned for this post
    Can work with Windows 7

posted by jtrosario on 12/18/2012 Certified Owner

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:
    This controller card can be made to work with Windows 7 if you have the right drivers. And they do exist. I was then able to install Windows 7 as a new install onto a new SSD connected to this Silicon Image 4-Port PCI Expansion Card, also known as Silicon I...
    Cons:
    It only comes with drivers for Windows operating systems up to Windows XP, as well as other non-Windows operating systems.
    View Detail » 
    • Overall Rating: 4
    • Price: 3
    • Quality: 4
    • Ease Of Use: 4
    2 DXPoints
    earned for this post
    Working perfectly on Debian GNU/Linux

posted by ghostDancer on 11/24/2012 Certified Owner

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:
    Good price works flawlessly on a Debian GNU/Linux, if you have to add SATA ports to your computer and you use the Penguin OS run like hell from VIA chipsets, all kind of problems, but with Sil chipsets never have any.
    Cons:
    Everything working perfectly till now.
    View Detail » 
    2 DXPoints
    earned for this post
    Great 4-port SATA controller expansion

posted by lyangsuper on 09/05/2012 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:
    - Easy to install and use - contains two SATA cables, about 50 cm long - drivers are included - supports raid functionality - very cheap for a 4-port card - recognized my 2 TB drives without problems out of the box, 3 TB are not support as far as I know.
    Cons:
    - pci is really too slow for four harddisks, it works but don't expect stellar performance
    View Detail » 
    2 DXPoints
    earned for this post
    Indispensable

posted by sangram on 08/18/2012 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:
    Worked out of the box with Windows 7 using the driver CD. Windows automatically discovered an update and installed it. Works perfectly with 2TB drives in the newer shipped cards. Needs no external power connector. Cheeeeeeap!
    Cons:
    SATA ports are a slight struggle to understand because of the open design. Overall speed is limited to 133 MB/s of the PCI slo...
    View Detail » 
    • Price: 4
    2 DXPoints
    earned for this post
    good, cheap

posted by Edreams on 02/06/2012 Certified Owner

Pros:
    Pretty good, not the fastest card, but is great when you LVM stripe drives on Linux
    Cons:
    The connectors to the SATA are fragile, they are also not mounted well and can bend. One drop of ethyl cyanoacrylate (super glu...
    View Detail » 
    • Ease Of Use: 3
    2 DXPoints
    earned for this post
    Good and surprisingly reliable

posted by student69 on 03/01/2011 Certified Owner

Pros:
    I have been using 4 of these cards in a linux server for over a year now and they have performed flawlessly. I had to upgrade the firmware one at a time to begin with but once upgraded they accepted all kinds of drives.
    Cons:
    I did have an issue with one Seagate drive that was causing a kernel panic but that turned out to be the Seagate drive itself a...
    View Detail » 
    2 DXPoints
    earned for this post
    Great add-in card for small data server

posted by wiren on 02/21/2011 Certified Owner

Pros:
    - Speed and performance is great, according to SATA I standard - Looks pretty decent - Simple instalation - Most systems driver-free - 4 channels - All PCI compatible, ie 3V/5V - Support for up to 2GB harddrives - Perfect for a small, home data server
    Cons:
    - Multiple channel use simultaneously degrades the speed (ie you actively use (working on them) more than 2 harddrives at one t...
    View Detail » 
    2 DXPoints
    earned for this post
    Nice and cheap

posted by glenn on 02/07/2011 Certified Owner

Pros:
    - Cheap - very well supported chipset
    Cons:
    - Does not handle large disks without firmware upgrade - Mine came in the wrong box, a box for another card. - Loses the RAID...
    View Detail » 
    • Usefulness: 4
    2 DXPoints
    earned for this post
    Out of the box support for 750Gb drives is NOT the

posted by Rusna on 01/08/2011 Certified Owner

Pros:
    Great device that works out of the box BUT with a little tweak: At least mine arrived for a year ago with Silicon Image's old firmware that did not understand big hard drives, so I had to manually update the firmware, luckily I'm a geek so that was no iss...
    Cons:
    I had to update the firmware myself to gain support for big hard drives. This is no problem really since Silicon Image provides...
    View Detail » 
Page 1 of 4
Go to Page:

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections