Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:more than 1 month
I bought one of these mounts for a Ruger 10/22 build that will be used by a local pest control officer to eliminate problem animals in an urban setting.
Having owned MANY scopes and various mounts over the years, I have to say that this is most likely the most solid I've ever used.
Here are the highlights:
- The lock knobs are large enough to snug up with with bare hands. Additionally, each one has a hole drilled in the side that you accept the hex wrench that you use to tighten the ring cap screws. This gives you a handle of sorts to finish tightening up the knobs.
- The mount itself is made of a single piece of aluminum and is VERY solid.
- Each ring cap has 3 lockdown screws on each side, allowing for an extremely solid grip without requiring excessive pressure that could damage your scope tube.
- The short pieces of rail on each ring allow you to mount additional accessories such as tac lights, lasers, IR illuminators, etc... However, they are fairly short (only about 1" long) so they may not work for larger accessories.
- The base of the mount has a hole that runs through the middle lengthwise. This is to retain the use of your iron sights, and to (slightly) reduce the weight of the mount. I don't have iron sights on my rifle, so I can't comment on how useful this feature is. I do know that with my scope (50mm objective) the sight hole is blocked by the scope bell.
- A little pricey, but worth it.
- Holes in locking knobs were not cleanly finished, (cosmetic issue only).
- Mount is fairly heavy (not really a con, just be aware)
- Picatinny rails on rings of questionable utility.
- This mount is designed to fit 30mm scope tubes. You might be able to add spacers to the inside of the rings to allow for 25mm scopes, but that wouldn't be nearly as stable.
- The clear space between the inner edge of the 2 rings is 3.0" (75mm).
- The outside-to-outside dimension of the rings is 5.0" (125mm).
- The dimension from the middle of the scope tube (when installed) to the bottom face of the rail mount is 1 5/16" (35mm). This is how high your scope will sit above the rail on your gun, also known as the rise height. Keep this number in mind when you buy a scope to ensure that the objective bell will clear the remainder of the gun.
All in all, this mount is an excellent product.
If you need to know that your scope will not move, buy this.
Note:Stock and Availability shown on this site is for your reference only. While
we strive to provide the most accurate and timely stock and availability information,
availability information may become out of date and may change between the time
you added an item to cart and the time your order is received.
Quantities on clearance items are limited. Prices are current at time of posting. DX Reserves the right to change prices at any time without notice.