DX  » Community » Reviews » Portable USB 5~500X 2.0 MP CMOS Digital Microscope with 8-LED Illumination - Black
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 4
  • Price: 5
  • Quality: 4
  • Ease Of Use: 4
  • Usefulness: 5
More features/price than a 10 000$ microscope – Portable USB 5~500X 2.0 MP CMOS Digital Microscope with 8-LED Illumination - Black Reviews

posted by ATN22 on 05/12/2011 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:
-Nice polished look
-The body of the microscope is made of sturdy plastic
-The capture&measure software included are very similar to those included with professionnal digital microscope
-Comes with dimmable white LEDs
-Allows a wide range of zoom
Cons:
-The zoom/focus adjustment roller "sticks" a little when doing fine adjustements
-The stand base is not perfectly flat making the microscope wobbling a little. Adding self sticking rubber pads on all three corners will probably solve the problem.
-The image compression and usb tranfer does not seems to allow a full 30fps making the video to lag when something is moved fast under the microscope.
Other:
-The zoom and focus are not independant, so one have to move the microscope closer to the specimen in order to really zoom in. It also takes more time to adjust precisely.
-Even if the microscope is plug&play, I suggest to install the software in order get the full functionnality.
-It makes a "snapshot" sound when taking a picture... I am not shure this is realy useful since you see the snapshot apearing in the screen.
Bottomline:
Great value and a lot of functions for the price!
I recommand it for anyone or any labs that doesn't need an high end microscope or does not have a very high budjet.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections