DX  » Community » Reviews » External 5.1 Channel USB 2.0 Optical Fiber Sound Card Audio Adapter
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 3
  • Price: 3
  • Quality: 3
  • Ease Of Use: 4
  • Usefulness: 4
Signal is too weak for headphones – External 5.1 Channel USB 2.0 Optical Fiber Sound Card Audio Adapter Reviews

posted by bardy on 02/08/2011 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:
- Sound quality is good. - Have front, rear and bass outputs - Line in input - Mic input - Digital output - Simple mini-USB connection (cable included) - Nice driver and utilities for Windows
Cons:
- When more than one output is in use (i.e. 4, 5, 5.1 or 4.1 configuration) the device does not drive enough gain to headphones. This results in a very low output to a non-amplified speaker (like headphones). I could select the "Headphones" option in Windows to enable only the "Front" output, and the output to the headphones returned to normal level. However, I couldn't do it in Linux (Ubuntu 10.10) since there is no specific driver for this OS.
Other:
It could have been nice if the device could supply enough gain to the headphones while providing a full output configuration. My purpose of buying this was so that I'll have one output connected to my headphones and the other to the external speaker system, but using the headphones under Linux is nearly impossible.
Bottomline:
Nice product, but not for Linux and not if you are using a non-amplified headphone set with it.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections