DX  » Community » Reviews » Portable USB Dual Axis 27X/100X 1.3MP Digital Microscope with 8-LED Illumination - Black
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 4
  • Price: 5
  • Quality: 4
  • Ease Of Use: 4
  • Usefulness: 3
Works, cheap, fun – Portable USB Dual Axis 27X/100X 1.3MP Digital Microscope with 8-LED Illumination - Black Reviews

posted by gjbloom on 12/19/2010 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:
It's cheap and it works straight out of the box. The free-standing form makes it possible to peer into places you couldn't get a traditional bench-top microscope. The built-in LED illumination is very convenient.
Cons:
The software isn't Windows 7 compatible. I had to install it using XP compatibility mode. Then my computer locked up three times - twice when I wasn't even using the microscope. I uninstalled the software and my computer is back to normal. I'm still able to capture images using IrfanView's built-in TWAIN image capture. If you're using Windows 7, I recommend finding some different software.
Other:
I compared the magnification and resolution I get using this microscope against what is possible using the macro zoom of my Panasonic Lumix TS2 camera. The macro zoom of the TS2 provides almost the same magnification, at much better resolution and color. Of course, it costs about 10x as much as this USB microscope. And you can't stick it in your mouth to get pictures of your fillings like you can with the microscope.
Bottomline:
Fun toy that might come in handy some time. You might as well get one.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections