DX  » Community » Reviews » Cat.6 RJ-45 Giga-Speed Ultra Flat LAN Network Cable (3M)
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 4
  • Price: 3
  • Quality: 5
  • Ease Of Use: 5
  • Usefulness: 4
It works well. My server runs off of it. – Cat.6 RJ-45 Giga-Speed Ultra Flat LAN Network Cable (3M) Reviews

posted by discofreakboot on 03/23/2011 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:
It's definitely a great spare cable if you need one. It's also a good permanent cable if you need one.
Build quality is great, and the no-snag boots on the ends feel solid.
Solid connection to ethernet jacks.
Cons:
The price is my only major complaint, but then again I don't know how much it costs to manufacture flat cables.
A similar-length Cat5e or even Cat6 cable costs less.
Other:
Gigabit ethernet will certainly work over short distances like the length of this cable, but I'd be skeptical about going flat for long runs.
I've used flat cables like this before and they are absolutely perfect for going through doors or windows. It's not a bad idea to have a spare one of these around in case you have to run a cable in that fashion.
Bottomline:
If you want to run the cable through a door or window, I'd suggest getting this or a shorter one of these and putting ethernet couplers on each end, then completing the run with REAL ethernet cable. That, of course, depends on how long your run needs to be. This can stand on its own as an ethernet link but you definitely don't want to go flat for long distances.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections