DX  » Community » Reviews » USB Laser Handheld Barcode Scanner/Reader for Desktop/Laptop
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 5
  • Price: 4
  • Quality: 5
  • Ease Of Use: 5
  • Usefulness: 5
Perfect scanner for the money – USB Laser Handheld Barcode Scanner/Reader for Desktop/Laptop Reviews

posted by gijsnoorlander on 06/19/2012 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:
- Scans quick - scans up to ~50 cm (depending on size of barcode) - scans also through plastic - Good build - Extensive programming manual is included (but did not need to use it) - driver for USB-PS/2 converter is easily found through Windows update - Really plug and play (is recognized as keyboard)
Cons:
When USB cable is inserted in scanner it is near impossible to remove again. You have to press the scan button to scan and the laser is operational for about 3 seconds. So you'll have to operate the scanner with your hand and cannot hang it somewhere. (perhaps this can be enabled via the manual but I didn't see it there)
Other:
The manual does seem useless at first, but it is also some kind of security-option to disable barcodes which are not in use for the purpose intended. Afterall the scanner is connected as an keyboard and a hacker could print it's own barcodes to hack a system. So it's great it is included :)
Bottomline:
It's a great scanner for the money. I use it to scan my DVD/Bluray collection for my administration in DVD-profiler.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections