DX  » Community » Reviews » SATA Power Cord (20cm)
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 5
  • Price: 5
  • Quality: 4
  • Ease Of Use: 5
  • Usefulness: 5
For those bigtower builds – SATA Power Cord (20cm) Reviews

posted by tenthumbs on 04/07/2011 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:
I've build quite a few systems in big tower cases where the PSU is located at the bottom rear of the case, and I've had the same problem with almost every PSU I've used; the SATA power-cables is too short to reach the optical drives in the top drivebay. Especially if you want to route all the cables behind the motherboard-tray for optimal airflow.
This cable is the easiest and cheapest way to deal with the problem.
Cons:
The molex pins move around quite a bit in the housing, but I don't really see that as a flaw of any practical consequence apart from making it 5 more seconds to install, and I've found this to be common for the cables supplied with my motherboards as well.
Not the optimal solution if your PSU have a lot of SATA power and only a few molex connectors.
Other:
I've been unable to find these in local stores, and the few webshops in my country that carry these tend to charge a premium for stocking them. At standard shippingrates the price for a single item would total 10-15 times that of DX if ordered separately.
I doubt the quality would be any different, as I think it should be hard to get these wrong.
Bottomline:
Having a modular PSU with sleeved custom lenght cables for everything is obviously very nice, but if all you want is to be able to connect a drive out of reach of your PSU-cables, these extenders should be as good as any.
I've used 5 of them so far without any issues, but as with any component that can affect data-integrity, you should always test before use.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections