DX  » Community » Reviews » Ultra-Thin UV Camera Lens Filter (58mm)
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 4
  • Price: 5
  • Quality: 3
  • Ease Of Use: 5
  • Usefulness: 4
Impressive, for the price! – Ultra-Thin UV Camera Lens Filter (58mm) Reviews

posted by ImSwedish on 06/05/2011 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:
The first to be mentioned is its price. At about 1/10th of the normal price for a simple UV-filter, this costs about the same as a (cheap)hamburger.
The ring is made from metal.
There is no obvious degrading of the photo quality, even in strong lights.
Cons:
The glass is a bit uneven in some places. Doesn't seem to do anything to the quality of the photos though.
Screwing the filter onto the lens was a bit tough. Still works to put it on though. You don't have to struggle to put it on but it felt as if the threads were a bit smaller than normally. It also makes a loud squeaky noise when putting it on and off so don't change filters when trying to sneak up on an animal.
Most people put on a UV-filter and then leave it on forever though so this is not that big of a problem!
Other:
UV-filters are quite controversial, you either hate them, or love them. I don't have a lot of money, so I don't wanna risk my lenses getting scratched or any other nasty things. I do a lot of wildlife photography and there's a lot of times where something could happen to the lens, trip on something, a large branch scratching it, a stupid bumblebee flying right into it leaving a lovely smudge right on it.
Bottomline:
I'm using this with the Canon 55-250mm lens, and there is no obvious loss of quality. Some lenses are move sensitive than others though, keep that in mind!
If you need a simple UV-filter for your lenses, I'd recommend this!

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections