DX  » Community » Reviews » CREE XM-LT6 5-Mode 6700K 450-Lumen Drop-in Module with Textured Reflector
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 4
  • Price: 4
  • Quality: 5
  • Ease Of Use: 5
  • Usefulness: 4
very bright – CREE XM-LT6 5-Mode 6700K 450-Lumen Smooth Aluminum Drop-in Module with Textured Reflector Reviews

posted by Hobbyfotograaf on 03/09/2011 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:less than 1 day

Pros:
Very bright. Memory mode works perfect. Not driven to the maximum of the led, for me that's better than full power (= 3A) with a greater risk for overheating and even overloading the lithium-ion battery (that is also dangerous). Fast strobe = really fast SOS = real SOS High = very bright Low = very low with a freshly charged (4,2V) Protected Trustfire 18650 (blue 2500mAh): High = 1,26A Mid = 0,37A Low = 0,03A (=very long runtime!!)
Cons:
None
Other:
I used a Uniquefire L2 as host for this drop-in module (the R5 led of the original module fell off the star due to overheating). For better thermal contact i have sanded out the anodising on the inside of the head, and rolled an aluminium strip around the module so that it fits very tight into the flashlight. That way there is a much better thermal connection between the module and the flashlight body. With about 5 Watts of power this module needs a good heatsinking to ensure the led does not fry after a few minutes. The aluminium strip is cut out of a beercan, the paint is removed to improve thermal conduction. It is cut so that when it is rolled very tight aroud the module, the module only just fiits (with some force needed to push it into the flashlight).
Bottomline:
Brighter than Ultrafire P10-R5, bigger hotspot. The hotspot is smaller than the MTE SSC P7-C that is have used on my bicycle, i think this woud be better for that use (but now i have a Magicshine for the "nightrides"). The color is very good, warmer than the Ultrafire. With a good heatsinking this should be very reliable because it does not drive the led (and the 18650) to the maximum power. On High (= about 5 Watt), most flashlights that fit this module will have enough surface to get rid of the heat. It will become very hot, but the LED should not overheat too fast. There is some regulation, with a partial discharged battery the current stays about the same: Battery at 3,8V High = 1,24A Mid = 0,37A Low = 0,03A

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections