DX  » Community » Reviews » UltraFire WF-502B XM-LT6 5-Mode 510-Lumen Memory White LED Flashlight with Clip (1*18650)
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 3
  • Price: 5
  • Quality: 1
  • Ease Of Use: 4
  • Usefulness: 5
Excellent flooder with horrible build quality – UltraFire WF-502B XM-LT6 5-Mode 510-Lumen Memory White LED Flashlight with Clip (1*18650) Reviews

posted by Mauretanius on 04/10/2012 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:
- Bright. Has roughly the strength of car's headlight (but the focus is of course worse than that) - Amazingly good as a floodlight (can light up an entire room when pointed at the ceiling, in forest at night illuminates entire area before you) - Works fairly long on one battery (max mode for around one hour on "flaming" TrustFire 2400 mAh cell) - Very sturdy body. - Good primary modes (max, middle and low), especially low mode is perfect for using in your house at night, when you do not want to wake anyone else up on your way to the closet. - I love the clip. It may look flimsy, but it's perfect for my tool vest. - Small enough to be carried in a big pocket (or in a vest, hehe). Can be used as part of EDC kit.
Cons:
- THE PILL HAS ALMOST NO CONTACT WITH THE BODY. Out of the box, the torch overheats and turns off after 15 seconds (that's right, seconds) of operation. Absolutely requires the tinfoil trick (wraping the pill in multiple layers of tinfoil until it sits snugly inside the body) to work. Even after using the tinfoil, the torch WILL overheat if left in max mode for too long, which is anything longer than 10 minutes. - This torch is definitely not a thrower. It's maximum reach is around 50, maybe 75 meters (in perfect conditions). Maximum useful beam distance seems to be 30 to 40 meters. Wildlife can be identified from 100 meters, thanks to movement and glowing eyes. - The on-off switch mounting ring required tightening. Before that the brightness changed at random during operation. - The stroboscope mode I can understand, it may be useful to someone. But SOS? Seriously...
Other:
- This body is definitely not for use with such powerful LED as XM-L T6. - The LED was inconsistent when it came to the amount of current drawn. At first it required over 2400 mA, but after a few days of use it dropped down to between 1,9 A and 2,2 A (readings were pretty random). I suspect it was because of the initial few trials without proper heat sinking. The diode may be haft toast by now, but there is seemingly no noticeable drop in brightness. Oh well, it's cheap enough to not worry about this.
Bottomline:
- If you need a good, cheap floodlight and have a lot of tinfoil (or some other heat sinking material) at hand, buy it. It will be worth it's price. Perfect for my favorite nighttime activity - taking a walk in a forest. I love the price. In my country anything comparable in brightness costs at least four times as much. - If you are searching for a thrower or for RELIABLE and WELL MADE flashlight, then you are in wrong place. Continue your search.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections