DX  » Community » Reviews » Solar Power Panel (2V 20~25mA)
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 3
  • Price: 3
  • Quality: 3
  • Ease Of Use: 4
  • Usefulness: 3
Needs strong light to be effective – Solar Power Panel (2V 20~25mA) Reviews

posted by Milen4o on 09/09/2008 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:
It really generates power and delivers 25ma under very strong light.
In fact I measured max of 37ma with extremely strong lamp which made it very hot.
But in normal outdoor conditions it provides about 10-20mA, which is ok for this size.
It seems to have weather resistant surface ( resin or epoxy?).
Cons:
The one I have does not look like the product pictures here(almost completely covered with
solar cells).The one I got has only half of the surface covered with cells(see the pictures).
The back side is compeley diferent - a total mess - it was very hard to find where to attach the wires.
There was metal foil separated in four uneven parts and misleading stickers with "+" and "-" signs which were misplaced.
I needed some time with my multimeter and a lamp to find the right places to connect the wires.
Voltage level only 1V open circuit when cloudy. You need strong light to charge 1.2 NiMH cell with about 10 mA.
In normal conditions it hardly reaches the adverstised 25mA.
May be the protective resin cover is too opaque for a solar cell + it has only half the cells and it all makes it very ineffective.
Other:
You can use it in the summer for garden light, spare parts or some DYI projects like mine , where I
need to trickle charge 1.2V NiMH cells high on a tree and I prefer not to take the cells down for recharge.
Bottomline:
Good solution for powering some independent small devices in the garden, on camping sites etc.
However, you may need some of the bigger panels for most projects, because they have better price/power ratio.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections