DX  » Community » Reviews » RC-C3 Cree LED Flashlight Black (1.3V~4V CR123A)
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 5
  • Price: 5
  • Quality: 4
  • Ease Of Use: 5
  • Usefulness: 5
Nice little torch – RC-C3 Cree LED Flashlight Black (1.3V~4V CR123A) Reviews

posted by kramer5150 on 06/29/2008 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:
-Cheap (very).
-Reliable simplicity if a twist cap, no clicky switch to fail.
-Very good DC-DC regulation.
-Good color tint.
-Durable, I dropped it a couple times on the concrete already and it scratched, but it still works fine.
-Smooth threads and firm O-ring engagements throughout.
-Aluminum reflector + glass lens
-Small & easily pocket-able.
-Splash/rain-proof (I have not submerged it however)
-Removable clip
-Tail stands
-Very good beam quality, from spot to flood, perfect for an EDC.
-Runs great with Primaries (65L) even greater on RCR123 (90L).
-You can adjust the head all the way out for lock-out mode, or just slightly turn it off for momentary forward activation.
-Boxed nice with bubble wrap from Romisen, would make a GREAT gift.
Cons:
-Gets warm fast on RCR123 cell.
-Low mode would have been really nice.
-Anodize coating seems a little fragile. There is an HA-III version for $21.
Other:
WONDERFUL little torch. I love the simplicity of a twist-cap switch. No clickies to foul you up, fail, and leave you in the dark. I have a surefire 6P that is my main light on the job, but the robust switch design of the RC-C3 follows similar suit to the 6P, and is now my best EDC light.
I find that it works admirably with either RCR123 cell or Primary. On the RCR123 it emits about 90 Lumens, over a 40 minute span. With a Primary it spits out about 65 Lumens for about 90 minutes. So, depending on which cell you choose, you can custom taylor its output. 90 Lumens is nice, but I find that much light can blind the user when used in complete darkness.
Very nice beam quality with a smooth transition from spot to flood. Much better than my other Cree-based lights in this regard. Very good flood too.
Bottomline:
Great EDC. This light has replaced my Eveready 1AA (Target) and Ray-O-Vac Sportsman Extreme as my main EDC. The fact that it only costs $13 makes it a real winner.
You can have an OUTSTANDING budget setup running this light with the $6 Ultrafire 4-pack RCR123 and $12 Ultrafire peak-detect charger.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections