DX  » Community » Reviews » USB Cable via RJ45 Extender Set (Power Boost Up to 150 feet)
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 4
  • Price: 5
  • Quality: 4
  • Ease Of Use: 5
  • Usefulness: 5
Does what it says on the box – USB Cable via RJ45 Extender Set (Power Boost Up to 150 feet) Reviews

posted by qupada on 04/14/2008 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:less than 1 day

Pros:
It beats standing in the server room disc jockeying. It's cold and noisy in there, warm and quiet at my desk. Tested over approximately 25 metres of in-wall network wiring plus two 1 metre patch cables, call it 85 feet, give or take. Less than half the price of any equivalent product I found on eBay. Completely transparent to the PC, so should support the box's claim of universal operating system compatibility.
Cons:
Like everyone else has mentioned, you're not going to get more than usb1.1 speeds. Copying from a USB flash drive I got exactly 1 megabyte (that's a real, non-lying 1048576 byte megabyte) per second. The packaging says "Hi-speed USB certified", but in context that means something more like "won't stop high-speed devices from working by letting them think they actually can work at 480Mbps"
Other:
Bottomline:
If you're looking for lightning speeds, you're not going to get them. For installing software on a remote server (using rdp/ssh/vnc for the display) it's excellent.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections