• Price: 5
  • Quality: 3
  • Ease Of Use: 3
  • Usefulness: 4
Usable if correct drivers and software are used – USB SIM Card Reader Reviews

posted by 80hertz on 06/05/2008 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:
This thing is usable and works fine once you get the correct drivers and software for it. (I managed to get it to work on Vista 64bit) Build quality is a little plasticky flimsy but okay otherwise.
Cons:
Works only only for v1 SIM cards. No clear installation instructions on the driver disc. Works for XP and Win2k, not really ok for Vista.
Other:
(Moderator: I have no intention of linking to other competitor sites but the only usable drivers are located there)
Firstly the drivers for USB to RS32 (serial port) need to be installed. This is the /USBto232 directory on the driver disc. It makes the SIM reader appear as a COM port (usually COM3) Then install the software from the USB SIM Editor/ directory.
It uses the Prolific PL-2303 USB to Serial (RS232) chipset. After some searching online, the latest 32 and 64bit XP/Win2k drivers can be found at the manufacturer's official site:
http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?ID=31
The Prolific PL-2303 chipset is also used in some other generic USB to Serial cables. After a long search, I found the generic Vista drivers here:
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/cooldrives/vista-prolific-chip-driver-for-serial-adapters.zip
Note that this driver doesn't work fully and I sometimes get BSODs in Vista 64 bit. But heck, it works and I'm not complaining...
Google around for the simmax 5.15 GSM SIM utility, this software is newer than the one on the driver disc and gives functionality to copy/clone v1 SIMs.
Bottomline:
Get this if you have have SIM cards issued in 2002 or earlier, they are more likely to work with the reader. Newer v2 and v3 SIM cards have stronger encryption on it that make them unreadable.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections