View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 3
  • Price: 5
  • Quality: 3
  • Ease Of Use: 2
  • Usefulness: 5
Nice Cards (even if it's in chinese) – Sentry Hardware Based PC Recovery PCI Card Reviews

posted by Ryuujin on 03/01/2009 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:
Does the job and does it well - I bought 5 of these as a test for computers I'm running in an internet cafe, and I'll be buying 5-10 more in the near future.
Feature not talked about or discussed in the description: Network hard drive copy! Woah! I thought norton ghost was a good tool, this thing makes imaging multiple computers a snap. Set the one with the image you like as server, set all the others as clients, and boom, in goes the image, all of them at once. No operating system required, good out of the box (only works on wired ethernet of course, wireless would be nice but i understand..) VERY useful!
Another good feature: BIOS protect - works like hard drive protect, but for your bios! No password required on the bios now, and it stores the BIOS info in the chip (tested it out by removing the bios battery).
Cons:
Different cards seemed to act up differently depending on the PCI slot? I thought that I had a few defective ones, I'd put them all in slot 1 and a few made the computer stop booting, no menu, nothing.. changed them to PCI slot 2 and poof! works perfectly!
The Chinese thing.. I ended up opening a chinese translator (it's simplified chinese far as I can tell) and messing around till I could translate some of the messages on the screen that were not in the english manual. This includes the BIOS messages -- if your bios is protected and it changes, it pops up a message with something like reflash bios, accept changes, and go into system menu.. something like that (this is trial and error - anyone speak Chinese and can confirm??)
Other:
Bottomline:
I tell people about these cards and they don't believe it's true. This is not just changes made in windows - I booted from a CD and removed one of the computer's partitions; restart and it's all back. I think i'll install one in some of my less computer savvy client's computers to keep them running fast (just partition the hard drive and move all things 'changable' such as email folders and documents to the second partition) :)

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections