write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 5
  • Price: 5
  • Quality: 5
  • Ease Of Use: 5
  • Usefulness: 5
very nice – 20x18mm Jewelers Loupe / Magnifier Reviews

posted by flashin on 10/15/2008 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:
this is a very nice magnifier. it is built very solidly. i don't know if it is an actual 20x magnifier, but it is strong. the lense on both of mine are made of one solid piece of glass, and not multiple lenses. this makes it very durable. it can be taken apart to clean or repair. the lense is held in place with a threaded ring similar to what you might find in a watch, or flashlight. the part that pivots is aluminum. the body is made of... well i think it is chrome plated brass. it has some heft for it's size. there is a spot for a lanyard. it needs it too because it's very small and could be lost if it's not tied to something. one of the best things about this loupe is it's unbelievable price, under $3/free shipping. it comes in a plastic display box with a foam insert so it should arrive safely. the other nice thing about it is the clearness of the lense. minute details show up very clear. that's what it's supposed to do.
Cons:
very small and easy to lose. sometimes it is difficult to get enough light in the area to be able to see. you have to hold it close to your eye and that tends to block light. that's to be expected with any handheld loupe this small. other than some grinder marks that were chromed over, that do not effect it's function, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.
Other:
you will find yourself lookin' for things to magnify (unless of coarse you already own a jewelers loupe and the coolness has worn off). it's great for inspecting small work, and identifying anything that's small and hard to see. use it in series with a larger magnifier to increase it's power. i was able to read identifying marks on an old double barrel shotgun that were probably worn off before i was born.... long time ago. it works very well.
Bottomline:
unless i lose it, i should not have to replace this particular loupe. i bought two so i'd have a spare. both are of equal quality. it's a good buy.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections