write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 4
  • Price: 4
  • Quality: 4
  • Ease Of Use: 2
  • Usefulness: 5
Great little reciever – WandTV USB DVB-T TV Tuner with Remote Reviews

posted by seanpaulk on 01/16/2012 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:
Works great in New Zealand with Freeview
amazingly cheap compared to what you can buy in stores over here
EPG works well for showing current program info and if you use the right software, you can download more guide information further into the future. (note: this might only be the case in NZ as only Freeview branded receivers can have the full 7 day program guide).
Saved me heaps of money on TV fees!
Cons:
the included software never worked properly for me (so i just used VLC instead). There is pleanty of DVB-T software out there that works great with this product, so might be worth looking into something else.
The included antenna isnt that great, but I didnt really expect to use it. Im pretty close to our broadcast antenna so it worked OK. That being said, the tuner has a standard antenna connection so you can hook up any old UHF antenna.
some of the HD (h.264) channels go a bit sluggish for me, but thats probably just a software issue
could be a bit daunting to set up for someone who isnt technically minded.
Other:
I tested this using XP and Vista so your results may vary. Apparently the Windows 7 Media Center works really easily with this product (but not for me using Vista in New Zealand).
Bottomline:
it works well if you know what you are doing, but might be a bit too much work for the average user. For the price its worth giving a try.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections