DX  » Community » Reviews » FandyFire 2100 CREE XP-GR5 5-Mode 350-Lumen White LED Flashlight with Strap (1 x 18650)
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 5
  • Price: 5
  • Quality: 4
  • Ease Of Use: 5
  • Usefulness: 5
One of the few truly regulated 1x18650 lights. – FandyFire 2100 CREE XP-GR5 5-Mode 350-Lumen White LED Flashlight with Strap (1 x 18650) Reviews

posted by desolder on 11/19/2011 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:
The description is true, it really is regulated! The regulation is provided by an AMC7136 adjustable regulator. The sense resistor is 33mohms, which equates to 1.5A with the 50mV sense voltage. I measured 1.32A on high. There's probably some additional trace resistance that is reducing it from the expected 1.5A. Still, it's plenty bright. 350 OTF lumens is a realistic claim.

The spot is fairly small and well focused, about 6 or 7 degrees. The flood is about 40 degrees. This will be a good helmet light for biking, but might be too focused for the bars. Some scotch tape will diffuse it a bit if desired.

It almost tailstands perfectly, with a slight wobble. The lanyard will make it worse, however. The tailcap glows in the dark. The threading is somewhat coarse, but they get the job done. O-rings at all joints will keep light sprays of water out.

This is one of the most compact 18650 lights. The reflector end does not flange outward. It's fairly short.

The LED is mounted on a brass pill which is screwed into the aluminum body of the flashlight - this is a good thing for heatsinking, versus using a drop-in.

The exterior is knurled aluminum, with a 6-sided middle section. It provides decent grip even if hands get wet.
Cons:
There is only one spring for the battery, and it is located at the positive end. So sharp jolts might cause the negative end to momentarily disconnect, causing the light to go into the next mode. I prefer to have springs on both ends.

I'm not a fan of assault crowns. They tend to get hung up in pockets. I would have preferred it without one.
Other:
See here for the AMC7136 datasheet:
http://file.yizimg.com/937/2008042511224909.pdf
Bottomline:
If you're looking for a compact 18650 light using the XPG, this is the one to get. The Fandyfire XG-V5 is slightly smaller, however. It's narrower by about 1mm and shorter by 5mm, but it's much heavier because it's steel.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections