Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Flashlights)
Flashlights

Looking for light that meets specific requirements

• Akrylamid Thursday, October 31, 2013 5:47 AM Reply
    @Gasbag: The tripod mention was from another thread I created, the one about 18650 batteries. The lights I will be using on the tripods are for outdoor bouldering (a discipline of rock climbing) during the dark Swedish autumn/winter season. The lights I use for that don't have very specific requirements.

Thanks for the suggestion, the light I'm asking about in this thread is indeed for photography, but removing the bezel and lens is not really an option as I use these lights for light "painting" in old abandoned mines, bunkers, caves etc. The light I currently use for this is a zoom light and I adjust the zoom quite a lot depending on what lighting effect I want to achieve. It does not have mode memory though, and quite often I shut of the light during an exposure, move around a little, and turn it on again to continue "painting" from a different angle. Cycling through the mode memory before finding the same brightness can screw up a potentially good photo. Taking separate exposures and then staking them is an option, but that's far more tedious than getting a light with mode memory :) The light I use is also a 2x18650 light and it does not fit well in my pockets as a 1x18650 light does.
    Posts(15) | Reviews | Tip post

post edited by Akrylamid on 10/31/2013 at 5:54 AM
  • gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Thursday, October 31, 2013 6:19 AM Reply
    Sorry I can't help you any further, but I suggest looking for videos/beamshots online. You can try youtube, or just goole "flashlight beamshots". There are several sites that have beamshots in the results.

There's also a flashlight comparison with a lot of beamshots in the sticky in the flashlight forum. If you find what you need, let us know. Other people might have a similar need and be grateful for that info. :)
    NO! I don't know why DX screwed up the site so badly.
    Ask them.
    Posts(12573) | Reviews | Tip post

• Akrylamid Saturday, December 7, 2013 7:13 AM Reply
    After som modifications I now have a light I am happy with, and as suggested I'm posting some info that others may or may not find usefull.

I ended up getting the sku.192004. I replaced the driver with sku.127684 and soldered it for modes low, med & high only. As sheepish suggested the wide beam angle was not quite wide enough, but when I took the light apart I noticed that the LED was sunk quite far back from the lens so I put a washer between the LED and the rim it rested on inside the LED & driver body. This raised the LED up closer to the lens. I had to file out two "pockets" from the inner part of the washer so the wires from the LED to the driver could pass through. I thought the washer could assist with the heat so I applied thermal compound around the LED and washer, and also the edges of the driver board while I was at it. Also, the driver board was just a little too large to fit in the sku.192004 so I had to carefully file ever so slightly around the edges of the driver to make it fit.

On a side note, the soldering is not for beginners as the solder points on the driver are vey small. I didn't want to do it, a colleague of mine with many years of experience did the soldering for me.

So, now I have the perfect light. The mode memory works and I'm glad to be rid of the flashing modes. The low setting is really low, making it a very versatile light. The wide beam angle is now as wide as the 2x18650 lamp I want to replace, and I have the option of making it a little wider by filing down the crown and/or the inner tube to bring the lens even closer to the LED (have a half to a full mm to play with).

Thanks for your input guys, it certainly helped!
    Posts(15) | Reviews | Tip post

post edited by Akrylamid on 12/7/2013 at 7:14 AM
  • gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Saturday, December 7, 2013 7:30 AM Reply
    Well done Akrylamid. I'm glad it worked out for you. :)
    NO! I don't know why DX screwed up the site so badly.
    Ask them.
    Posts(12573) | Reviews | Tip post

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Thursday, December 12, 2013 4:14 PM Reply
    That washer modification sounds simple, clever and effective. Well done.
    Remembering 30 years.
    Posts(24952) | Reviews | Tip post

Page 2 of 2
Go to Page:
«Reply to this thread (in Flashlights)
Flashlights

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere