Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Off Topic)
Off Topic

@sheepish!

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Wednesday, March 25, 2015 5:10 AM Reply
    Possibly. Which terminal is the strip attached to? What is the metal it's touching attached to? How many cells are there?
    Remembering 30 years.
    Posts(24950) | Reviews | Tip post

• gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Wednesday, March 25, 2015 5:46 AM Reply
    Isn't the strip on a protected cell attached to both + - terminals? If it touches the in side of a battery tube in a flashlight would that harm anything? Would it make a difference if a light uses 1 or 2 cells?

I'm asking because I saw Sanyo protected cells on another site that have that strip exposed. I don't know if those are safe to use or not.
    NO! I don't know why DX screwed up the site so badly.
    Ask them.
    Posts(12572) | Reviews | Tip post

• desolder Top 10 Forum Poster Wednesday, March 25, 2015 5:51 AM Reply
    On the older style negative protected cells, the long strip that runs up the side is connected to the positive terminal, and there is a very short strip/jumper which is connected to the negative terminal. If you peel off the outer wrapper, the positive terminal should still be insulated with a piece of golden Kapton tape, so it won't accidentally short out on the inside of a flashlight battery tube.

Is that strip completely exposed? They didn't use any kapton tape on top of it? How about a second strip of kapton below the positive strap?

[edit]The last line of defense preventing a short will be the anodizing inside the flashlight tube. But it would be a REEELY bad idea to depend on that to prevent a short. A shorted lithium cell in a sealed aluminum tube is basically a pipe bomb. I would put some kapton tape on the positive strip and re-heatshrink wrap it.
    What's up with the scrubbed LED driver IC markings?
    What are they trying to hide?

Posts(7073) | Reviews | Tip post

post edited by desolder on 3/25/2015 at 5:59 AM
  • sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Wednesday, March 25, 2015 5:54 AM Reply
    Isn't the strip on a protected cell attached to both + - terminals?

That would short out the battery and be at least as bad as anything you're imagining from the strip touching anything else.
    Remembering 30 years.
    Posts(24950) | Reviews | Tip post

• gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Wednesday, March 25, 2015 5:58 AM Reply
    It looks completely bare, and neither the top plastic insulator or the PCB on the bottom are covered with wrapping.
    Ask them.

• gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Wednesday, March 25, 2015 6:07 AM Reply
    It looks like the PCB was added to an already wrapped battery, with no wrapping afterwards. They were listed today on that "other" site.

Heheh, yeah, I guess that strip couldn't be attached to both terminals. Even I should have known that.
    Ask them.

Page 2 of 2
Go to Page:
«Reply to this thread (in Off Topic)
Off Topic

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere