Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Arduino Enthusiasts)
Arduino Enthusiasts

Arduino Color or Light Detection Component

• sfalz Tuesday, April 2, 2013 3:35 AM Reply
    Hello, I'm currently looking at the TCS3200 Color Sensor Recognition Module, the 3200 Static Color Identification Sensor Module or the TCS3200D Arduino LED RGB Color Sensor, and I was wondering if it would be able to accurately detect even slight color differences between colors. I am mixing Phenol indicator solution with water in clear tubing, and I need to be able to tell very slight differences in red. I am currently using a light sensor that changes as the red becomes darker, but it's not working to well. If you have any recommendations, or products that can help besides the TCS3200 I would truly appreciate it. I really just need any device that will work with an Arduino that can determine between slight variations in light or color. I am also building one for chlorine detection using OTO solution that turns varied degrees of yellow. I was also thinking that a light sensor may work, but it would need to be very sensitive to slight light changes caused by a change in color. Thank you.
    Posts(3) | Reviews | Tip post

• Simonetti2010 Tuesday, April 2, 2013 6:07 AM Reply
    I doubt any of the "hobbist" sensors can pickup subtle variations in colors. Heck, CMOS sensors (like those used in cellphone cameras) don't have such sensistivity.

I guess what you want is a sensor that costs a few hundred dollars, and is rated for lab use.

"I’m addicted to placebos. I’d give them up, but it
    wouldn’t make any difference." ............ Jay Leno

Posts(1120) | Reviews | Tip post

• sfalz Tuesday, April 2, 2013 7:00 PM Reply
    I found a few expensive sensors and a CMOS sensor that may work, but I was wondering if there are any light sensors that are very sensitive for under $30? I can make the lighting system, and build it like a spectrophotometer. The darker the yellow, the more light would be absorbed. Any ideas?

• sfalz Tuesday, April 2, 2013 7:20 PM Reply
    For the CMOS idea, would something like one of these work: TCS3200 and TCS3210 ? Would somehting like this work https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10701?

«Reply to this thread (in Arduino Enthusiasts)
Arduino Enthusiasts

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere