Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Arduino Enthusiasts)
Arduino Enthusiasts

DX no longer selling Arduino Uno?

• theroboticsguy Wednesday, May 22, 2013 8:32 AM Reply
    DX has sold Arduino Compatible Uno R3's (SKU 120464) for a long time at a great price, but today it looks like it's being discontinued. Anyone know why?
    Posts(14) | Reviews | Tip post

• Simonetti2010 Wednesday, May 22, 2013 11:20 AM Reply
    Well observed. I also purchased a sku.120464 last September, for $15.

sku.150108 (UNO R3) was also an excellent choice ($16.40), but is is also missing. Fortunately I have it in my Wish List so I have a reference to it.

I wonder what has gone down. Both UNOs were great. I have mine in pristine condition, since I have only been using the home-built Arduino clone I made myself. That's one more reason to keep my Uno R3 intact.

One thought that crosses my mind is that maybe DX got a cease-and-desist letter from Arduino.cc to stop selling clones that looked like the original Arduinos and even had "Made in Italy" printed on them.
    "I’m addicted to placebos. I’d give them up, but it
    wouldn’t make any difference." ............ Jay Leno

Posts(1120) | Reviews | Tip post

• powercat Friday, May 31, 2013 10:41 AM Reply
    I wanna get started with arduino, are there still any "arduino clones" on dealextreme?

Posts(64) | Reviews | Tip post

• theroboticsguy Saturday, June 1, 2013 8:05 AM Reply
    As far as I can tell, no. I contacted DX about this and they said they aren't planning on restocking them. I really don't understand why, as I'm sure they were selling tons of the things..

• powercat Monday, June 3, 2013 7:37 PM Reply
    What about this one:

http://dx.com/p/uno-r3-development-board-microcontroller-mega328p-atmega16u2-compat-for-arduino-blue-black-215600

That looks like an Arduino UNO R3 clone? it says it's Arduino compatible... what do you think?

• theroboticsguy Monday, June 3, 2013 7:44 PM Reply
    Looks like they just added it last week.

It looks good. Unfortunately it's several dollars more expensive than SKU 120464 was.

• Simonetti2010 Tuesday, June 4, 2013 8:04 AM Reply
    sku.215600 is an Arduino clone and will work as such.

Really, there isn't much to an Arduino UNO. A board, a +5V voltage regulator, a couple capacitors, a crystal and the microcontroller. That's it. Everything else is just a plus, even the Serial-to-USB adapter. You can even have an Arduino on a breadboard.

I haven't used my UNO R3 for several months, because I've been using my own homemade Arduino clone.

Long story short: just buy whatever is available at an affordable price and start "arduinoing"!
    "I’m addicted to placebos. I’d give them up, but it
    wouldn’t make any difference." ............ Jay Leno

Posts(1120) | Reviews | Tip post

• theroboticsguy Tuesday, June 4, 2013 9:18 AM Reply
    Well, that's sort of true, but if you want to be able to use shields and to be able to follow tutorials and stuff then it's important to get a board that is identical to the official version..

• powercat Tuesday, June 4, 2013 10:01 AM Reply
    Yeah it sounds like Simonetti2010 has enough experience to build his own boards! But for a begginer it's probably easier to get a straight up arduino clone :)

Can you guys recommend one of the "starter kit" on DX? one of the arduino kit with a bunch of components in it, for getting started?

«Reply to this thread (in Arduino Enthusiasts)
Arduino Enthusiasts

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere