Flashlights

Recommend a XM-L floody 1x18650 flashlight

• kosmarnik Tuesday, September 24, 2013 2:21 AM Reply
    As the title says :D
    3 modes with memory should suffice.
    Posts(191) | Reviews | Tip post

• gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Tuesday, September 24, 2013 1:59 PM Reply
    Have you considered a zoom light?
    NO! I don't know why DX screwed up the site so badly.
    Ask them.
    Posts(12568) | Reviews | Tip post(1)

• desolder Top 10 Forum Poster Tuesday, September 24, 2013 2:52 PM Reply
    sku.244241 looks to be the cheapest that fits your requirement.

I don't use them personally, but a few of my friends have zooming flashlights. If you're looking for a floodlight then a zooming light will work great.
    What's up with the scrubbed LED driver IC markings?
    What are they trying to hide?

Posts(7073) | Reviews | Tip post

• kosmarnik Wednesday, September 25, 2013 2:11 AM Reply
    Thanks guys, but I already have a zooming light which I happy with even tough it's not an XM-L.

I have trouble finding a flood flashlight. Throwers are easier to find :)

Currently I have this flood flashlight http://dx.com/p/spiderfire-ssc-p7-ssc-p7-c-2-mode-900-lumen-led-flashlight-with-strap-1-18650-19767 but it's acting up (can't switch modes, both high and low are weaker than low should be, then it suddenly works properly, etc), and would like something similar but brighter.

Priced up to 30$-40$.

This onehttp://dx.com/p/ultrafire-nh-t60-ha-ii-xm-lt60-5-mode-1200-lumen-white-led-flashlight-with-strap-1-x-18650-57005 seems ok, but going by the beamshots, it's tighter than my old P7 http://www.flickr.com/photos/siftah/sets/72157626517017579/with/5684835833/.

Hmm, reading a bit more, seems XM-L leds are not suited to be good flood lights, so I'm fine with another led that is on par or better then XM-L with regards to brightness. Preferably one that doesn't heat up as much as a P7.

Update: this is my current choice: http://dx.com/p/ultrafire-c2-t60-cree-xm-lt6-3-mode-1200-lumen-white-led-flashlight-w-strap-1-x-18650-1-x-17670-90777
    Any better suggestions?

post edited by kosmarnik on 9/25/2013 at 3:03 AM
  • gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Wednesday, September 25, 2013 5:08 AM Reply
    Hi kosmarnik

Check the sticky in the flashlight forum. It has good info for flashlight fixes. The most common problems are the switch. Your Spiderfire might just need a simple fix to get it working properly again.

Those 1200 lm. lights are B.S. XM-L T6s are maxxed out at just over 900 lm.

XM-L T6 emitters are actually better flooders than the older/smaller LEDs, because they have a bigger surface area. XM-L U2s are slightly more efficient, but not enough to notice any difference in brightness. XM-L2s are the most efficient, but not enough to make much of a difference. It takes a LOT of lm. to notice a small difference in brightness with high powered lights.

I don't know of any XM-L lights that are really good flooders, so I still think your best bet is an XM-L with zoom.

If you find something you like, read the reviews, and especially the product forum (Post a new topic) near the bottom of the page. Those often contain more useful info than the reviews. If you have a question about a particular light, than use that forum to ask.

edit - P.S., in the future, you can just give the sku. # of an item and it gets auto-linked. Example > sku.120679. Click on the numbers for a brief description, or click on the little red arrow and it takes you to the item's page.

Ask them.
    Posts(12568) | Reviews | Tip post

post edited by gasbag11 on 9/25/2013 at 5:19 AM
  • desolder Top 10 Forum Poster Wednesday, September 25, 2013 3:11 PM Reply
    The C2 body uses a relatively shallow reflector, so you should get lots of spill/flood, in addition to the central spot. The Brinryte version,sku.55029, is a bit cheaper.
    What's up with the scrubbed LED driver IC markings?
    What are they trying to hide?

Posts(7073) | Reviews | Tip post

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Wednesday, September 25, 2013 6:02 PM Reply
    As the title says

As the initial responses showed, your title does not indicate what you meant by "floody".

I have a C2 (sku.15946 with a neutral white XM-L and a 3 mode, increasing brightness order, no-flashing driver). The stippled reflector probably helps its floodiness.
    Remembering 30 years.
    Posts(24949) | Reviews | Tip post

• kosmarnik Thursday, September 26, 2013 1:24 AM Reply
    Thanks for the replies.
    Going by the beamshots I could find, I ordered the SKU.90777
    IDK why floody isn't a good description, a light can be a thrower or flood, at least that's how I understood it?

It seems P7 is better suited for flood, has greater spill than XM-L.
    In any case if you have any other suggestions, keep them coming as one can't have too much flashlights :D
    The problem with C2 body is that it isn't great at dissipating heat, myP7 heat's up like crazy when on high.

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Thursday, September 26, 2013 2:25 AM Reply
    You use question marks strangely?

"Floody" evidently means different things to different people. I would probably have suggested a zoom light as well but because you didn't say what you were actually after... I'm glad I didn't bother.

It could be argued the P7 is slightly better suited for flood since it has a 130° viewing angle while the XM-L is 125°. However, if you're using a reflector that means more of its output will hit the reflector, producing a stronger beam (relative to its spill). But the beam will be slightly less focussed than that produced by an XM-L because the 4 dice of a P7 are 1mm x 1mm with a very small gap between them, while the XM-L has a single 2mm x 2mm die.

The XM-L is more efficient. There are ways to get a better thermal path in a C2.
    Remembering 30 years.
    Posts(24949) | Reviews | Tip post

• gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Thursday, September 26, 2013 7:15 AM Reply
    In any case if you have any other suggestions, keep them coming as one can't have too much flashlights :D

Yes one can. Just ask my wife. lol
    Ask them.
    Posts(12568) | Reviews | Tip post

Page 1 of 3
Go to Page:
«Reply to this thread (in Flashlights)
Flashlights

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere