Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Flashlights)
Flashlights

Please recommend me a good 18650 thrower

• jasperv Sunday, January 26, 2014 1:23 AM Reply
    Hi,

I already have a zooming flashlight (x2000) sku.14450

I'm pretty happy with it, but would like something more powerful :)
    I want to be able to walk with it in the woods at night (flood), but a far throw to spot some dear across a couple of fields i need as well.

so what i want:
    * Zooming
    * Powerfull
    * 18650, AA or AAA, or a combination
    * Monywise, i want good price/quality...
    * Nothing to big, 3x AAA or 1x18650 size

I was looking at sku.114647
    is this a good choise for me? or are there options with more power?

Thanks for you effort!
    Posts(7) | Reviews | Tip post

post edited by jasperv on 2/11/2014 at 5:53 AM
  • cyclist Moderator Wednesday, January 29, 2014 11:32 PM Reply
    Does it really need to a zoomer?
    With the latest XM-L reflector flashlights, most will throw the light as far as most zooming ones and light up everything in-between too.

I have a few XM-L zoomers and Im not that impressed at all.
    XM-L leds need something like a 60mm lens to be any good, because anything smaller has neither very good throw or flood, something that a standard XM-L reflector light can do easily.
    I have a few of these now, and can really recommend them ~ sku.222113

If you want something that will throw light across a couple of fields, then this would do the job ~ sku.91137
    Flashlight issues~https://tinyurl.com/bw2d3pd
    DX Return Policy/Warranty~https://tinyurl.com/yb7dpg3s
    New customers read this ~ http://tinyurl.com/3kcyfqm
    Tracking site ~ http://www.17track.net/en
    Posts(17129) | Reviews | Tip post

• jasperv Friday, January 31, 2014 5:34 PM Reply
    Hi, thanks for your reply!

No it doens't really needs te be a zoomer, i just tought they where the way to go for me.
    I've been reading up a bit about these zooming lights, and your right... there not really efficient in combination with an XM-L led.

So i have adjusted my requirements. I don't need great flood anymore (i can always take my sku.120679 with me to light up the entire forest around me :D )

What i want now is a thrower, and a good one. But he needs to be able to go in my pocket the light i'm looking at now the sku.121721
    I dont really see other options for a good thrower in this size range. Any suggestions?

• OCHAR Saturday, February 1, 2014 12:10 AM Reply
    This is my "Go To" flashlight. Fits in my pocket, feels good in the hand. Great companion for traveling.
    SKU: 158205
    Hope this helps.
    Posts(197) | Reviews | Tip post

• gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Saturday, February 1, 2014 4:18 AM Reply
    It might be a good idea to edit the title of this thread if you no longer want a zoom light, so people don't keep recommending them.
    NO! I don't know why DX screwed up the site so badly.
    Ask them.
    Posts(12572) | Reviews | Tip post

• jasperv Tuesday, February 11, 2014 5:52 AM Reply
    Thanks for the tip, the subject has been edited :)
    @gasbag11 i've seen your review on sku.121721 in witch you've stated "I'm not able to get out and try it at night". I'm hoping you've used the light outdoors in the passed year? If so, how did it perform?

It's been 2 years now since sku.121721 has been released. Are there any newer 1*18650 good throwers released that you are aware of since?

• gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Tuesday, February 11, 2014 6:52 AM Reply
    I have been out with sku.121721 and I was impressed with it. It threw some light on a house about 250 meters away, even though there was a streetlight near the house. I imagine that it would have seemed brighter without the streetlight, but I think that's pretty good for a $20.00 flashlight.

sku.91137 (which cyclist mentioned) is probably one of the best throwers here. Read the review by DrJones. He's somewhat of an authority on throwers, but he doesn't post here very much now. I think he's still active on BLF (budget light forums) if you want to try there.

There may be some high-end single 18650 lights with better throw, but most of those are beyond my budget.

I'm totally satisfied with sku.121721. Never had a problem, good switch, the quality is probably the best of all my lights. Even a little better than sku.120679, which I also have, and like very much. :)

NO! I don't know why DX screwed up the site so badly.
    Ask them.
    Posts(12572) | Reviews | Tip post

post edited by gasbag11 on 2/11/2014 at 6:54 AM
«Reply to this thread (in Flashlights)
Flashlights

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere