Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Flashlights)
Flashlights

Is this feasible/possible?

• gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Tuesday, February 4, 2014 7:59 PM Reply
    I bought an Ultrafire C8 from another site and it has "next mode memory". I reviewed it there mainly to warn other customers.

Last night I received an email (from A**z*n) with a suggestion from another customer (I wish DX had that feature) that states the following: > Find the capacitor on the driver 's circuit board, usually a brown rectangular component. Draw a pencil line on it connecting the dmetal contacts at each end and the flashlihgt will always start on high after being off for a time. How long depends on how heavy a mark you make, but don't overdo it or the time will be so short you can't change modes. Visit Budget Light Forum for more info."

@desolder; Is there any chance this would actually work? Just a pencil line? If it is true, what are the "dmetal contacts"?

Just curious more than anything else.
    NO! I don't know why DX screwed up the site so badly.
    Ask them.
    Posts(12568) | Reviews | Tip post

post edited by gasbag11 on 2/4/2014 at 8:06 PM
  • desolder Top 10 Forum Poster Wednesday, February 5, 2014 5:04 AM Reply
    I vaguely recall a thread on BLF about this. The "dmetal" is probably a typo, with an extra "d", so he is just referring to the metal contacts on the SMD capacitor. Basically the pencil line forms a discharging carbon resistor across the capacitor. The faster the capacitor discharges, the shorter the memory lasts.
    What's up with the scrubbed LED driver IC markings?
    What are they trying to hide?

Posts(7073) | Reviews | Tip post(5)

• gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Wednesday, February 5, 2014 6:00 AM Reply
    Thanks desolder. No point in me taking it apart. With my track record, it'd just end up in the recycling bin if I did. Like the 3 ~ 4 other lights that I "fixed" the switch on. lol
    Ask them.

• desolder Top 10 Forum Poster Wednesday, February 5, 2014 7:49 AM Reply
    Found it!

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/14342

The pencil mod should be pretty harmless. If you don't like the results, the mistake can be easily corrected with a rubber eraser :)

Posts(7073) | Reviews | Tip post(3)

post edited by desolder on 2/6/2014 at 2:13 AM
  • gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Wednesday, February 5, 2014 8:39 AM Reply
    Thanks again, but I just don't play well with small things. It would be a "no mode" driver after I finished with it. Ham hands, improper tools, and no patience has meant the early demise of many small items in the past. I'm sure I'd probably just wind up grabbing my "universal fix-it" tool..... THE HAMMER! One way or another, it "fixes" everything. :)
    Ask them.

• gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Sunday, February 9, 2014 3:46 AM Reply
    LOL I removed the pill and took the driver board out. At first I thought there was no capacitor, but when I realized which thing it was, I couldn't believe how tiny it is. Now if I can find a pencil, I'll try it and let you know how it works.
    Ask them.

• gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Sunday, February 9, 2014 5:29 AM Reply
    Holy luminous flux bins Batman. It works. :D

I tested it first on the original module from sku.184696 which I replaced with an XM-L T6 module. It worked perfectly. Always starts on high, no memory at all, and a quick half click gives the next mode. It worked just as well on the light I got from A**z*n. My first flashlight mods. And there's no parts left over. The hardest part was finding a pencil. lol

Thanks once more @desolder.
    Ask them.

• gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Monday, February 10, 2014 12:25 AM Reply
    Tried it this morning on sku.121293. The capacitor is even tinier than the ones on the C8 lights. I needed a magnifying glass to find it. I must have been a little heavy-handed with the pencil though, because now it only has high mode. It's still better than "next mode" though, and I can always erase it and do it over.

That's 3 lights that have been rescued from the junk/parts drawer now. Too bad there's no way to eliminate the blinking modes with just a pencil. I'd be busy for the next several days. lol
    Ask them.

• gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Tuesday, February 11, 2014 1:27 AM Reply
    sku.121293 works perfectly now. I swiped the eraser across the capacitor a few times, and drew a single line across it with a very sharp pencil. I'm now getting so good at removing the pill and driver board, I don't think the whole process took more then 5 minutes this time. lol

@cyclist; Maybe you should include this process in the flashlight forum, in with the other links for fixing problems. If I can do it, ANYONE can. It's that easy. And I'm sure there are a lot of p*ssed off people who've bought lights with "next mode" memory. (Like me) Maybe include a photo with the capacitor marked, so people know what to look for.

Just a thought, if you have some spare time. :)

Btw, does DX sell a GOOD thermal paste/glue? The LEDs in both of my C8s are only held in place by the reflector. Obviously not the best way to get rid of heat.
    Ask them.

post edited by gasbag11 on 2/11/2014 at 1:28 AM
  • desolder Top 10 Forum Poster Tuesday, February 11, 2014 1:57 AM Reply
    Well done gasbag11! You might find that the pencil mark resistor is not particularly stable, so the memory time may vary with temperature, or vibration may knock loose some of the graphite and change the behavior. Putting a dab of clear nail polish or varnish over the pencil mark should help stabilize it. Or you can replace it with a ~1 megaohm SMD resistor if you want something with a stable, known resistance value.

Btw, does DX sell a GOOD thermal paste/glue?
    DX has several that work reasonably well. sku.37514 and sku.135352 and sku.4579

The "gold" standard in thermal adhesives is Arctic Silver Epoxy, although the cheaper stuff is usually good enough if it's used in a very thin layer. I've also used JB Weld, an iron-filled epoxy, which works reasonably well as a thermal glue in thin layers too.

Posts(7073) | Reviews | Tip post

Page 1 of 3
Go to Page:
«Reply to this thread (in Flashlights)
Flashlights

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere