Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Flashlights)
Flashlights

Torch Cycles through before switching off

• Brandiano Friday, April 11, 2014 10:38 PM Reply
    Just did some testing and my Flashlight goes (Constantly pressing the on/off switch) Off --> Strobe --> Off --> High --> Low --> Strobe --> High --> Low --> Off --> Strobe, repeat...

Flashlight is the SKU.114432

Any idea on how to fix it?

Thanks
    Posts(29) | Reviews | Tip post

• gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Saturday, April 12, 2014 3:17 AM Reply
    Not sure I understand. Do you mean that it changes modes while continuously holding the switch on? Or when you press and release the switch?

Or do you mean that you have to go through all the modes to shut it off?
    NO! I don't know why DX screwed up the site so badly.
    Ask them.
    Posts(12572) | Reviews | Tip post

post edited by gasbag11 on 4/12/2014 at 7:29 AM
  • Brandiano Saturday, April 12, 2014 3:27 PM Reply
    Instead of just going On --> Off, it goes through that order, one mode at a time each button press =P so like Off --> "Click" --> Strobe --> "Click" --> Off --> "Click" --> High --> "Click" --> Low --> You get the point =P

It's horribly annoying to deal with having to cycle through like 5 modes before just turning off

• gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Saturday, April 12, 2014 6:12 PM Reply
    It sounds like your light has "next mode memory". Every time you turn it on, it goes to the next mode. I agree, it's extremely annoying.

There is a simple cure if you have some basic mechanical skills, and a pair of needle nosed pliers and a pencil. I've copied/pasted the info below from another forum.

>>If you can remove the pill/driver board, than all you need for the mod is a sharp pencil. I tried it on 2 Ultrafire C8 lights, and was blown away when it worked. Simply draw a line across the top of the capacitor with a pencil, connecting one of the metal end plates to the other. There's a thread about it on budget light forum with some pics. http://budgetlightforum.com/node/14342 The first mention of it is on page 2 of that thread.

I'm not an expert so I don't know if it will work on every flashlight, but it worked great on the 2 C8s I tried it on. It was the first time I ever removed a driver board. (Yep I was a virgin till yesterday) lol

Be advised that the capacitor (usually a brown rectangular thing with a metal plate on each end) is TINY. You may need a magnifying glass if your eyesight isn't the best.

I practically covered the whole top of the capacitor with the pencil and the memory only lasts about a half second now. It always starts on high, changes modes with a quick half press on the switch, and behaves just like a light with no memory. It's mentioned that if you're too heavy with the pencil, you won't be able to change modes and it will become a 1 mode (high only) light, but that didn't happen for me. Maybe I was just lucky. You can always start with a light line, then add more if the memory lasts too long.<<

I've done it on 4 lights now and it works like a charm. The lights always start on high, and then cycle through the modes with a half press of the switch, just like a light with no memory.

The only other option I know of, is replacing the driver board, which requires soldering.

Ask them.

post edited by gasbag11 on 4/12/2014 at 6:39 PM
  • gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Saturday, April 12, 2014 6:34 PM Reply
    Forgot to mention that too heavy of a pencil line did make one of the lights a 1 mode (high) light, but I simply erased it and drew a single, light line, and it works great now.

Also, all 4 of my lights had "high" as the default mode. If left off for a little while, (10~15 seconds) they all started on high and still do.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. There are some experts here who know much more than I do, and they're always willing to help. :)
    Ask them.

• Brandiano Saturday, April 12, 2014 6:53 PM Reply
    Hah, well it got rid of all the modes apart from High, but it still cycles through them all in the way I said before. only every mode is just high... =P

Useful mod though, going to use this on some of my other torches, sadly it seems theres something else wrong with this torch

• gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Saturday, April 12, 2014 7:03 PM Reply
    On one light, I actually had to sharpen the pencil to an extremely fine point to make it work, after I erased the previous lines that I made. Make sure you erase it very well before you make a new line. If it still doesn't help, you may need to replace the driver.
    Ask them.

• gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Saturday, April 12, 2014 7:11 PM Reply
    If your light is like some others I've seen, the only way to shut it off is to go through all the modes, but a few people said you can loosen the tailcap to shut it off. Thankfully I've never gotten a light like that.
    Ask them.

«Reply to this thread (in Flashlights)
Flashlights

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere