Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Off Topic)
Off Topic

So, what is this place?

• athenian200 Sunday, October 26, 2014 4:32 AM Reply
    I just found this site recently, and I'm curious exactly how it works and how it all got started.

I've gotten the impression that it allows you to order things directly from China? Or else they're a reseller that works very closely with Chinese factories? I'm not sure how that would be economical given how far away China is, especially with free shipping. I'm guessing they have to wait until they have a large enough quantity of orders to ship out an entire pallet at once?

I've noticed that there are lots of neat little technological gadgets here that I don't usually see on American sites. Cheap portable DVD players, Android laptops, various kinds of converter cables, etc.

As far as I know, Chinese companies don't usually sell things directly to Americans. Usually they just contract with an American company, stamp that company's brand on the product, and then leave the selling to them. Given that arrangement being typical, what was the inspiration/motivation for creating a site like this that "cuts out the middle-man," so to speak? It's an interesting idea.

So, anyway, I'm glad to have found this place.
    Posts(3) | Reviews | Tip post

• gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Sunday, October 26, 2014 8:40 AM Reply
    DX and many, many other sites are in China, buy from manufacturers and suppliers there, and sell directly to most countries, with free standard shipping. But free shipping also means slow shipping.

DX is one of the older sites which started (I think) about 8 or 9 years ago. I've been buying here for over 3 years, and aside from a few orders which took quite a while to arrive, I'm generally satisfied with most of the items I've bought. Plus I've gotten every item I've ordered. So far. lol

There are some very good prices on many sites like this, but there are also a lot of clone/fake products that look similar to the genuine items, but don't work well, or last long. If you're not sure about an item you want to order, it's best to ask about it in the forums first. There are a lot of customers who are very knowledgeable about many items, and they're always willing to help.

P.S. If you want info on a specific item, scroll down to "Post a new topic" on its page, and post there. Those "discussions" are often an excellent source of info, sometimes better than the reviews.

edit - typo
    NO! I don't know why DX screwed up the site so badly.
    Ask them.
    Posts(12568) | Reviews | Tip post

post edited by gasbag11 on 10/26/2014 at 8:52 AM
  • athenian200 Sunday, October 26, 2014 11:22 AM Reply
    I kind of assumed it would be slower shipping. Most orders from a manufacturer or direct sourcing company take a long time. I have ordered something I find interesting, but I'm not in a hurry to get it. I mean, I'd like to get it within 4-6 weeks, but only because that seems like a reasonable time window based my past experiences with bulk order sourcing companies.

Anyway, I didn't really think about the possibility of fake items that don't actually work. I've gotten fake Chinese stuff elsewhere before (on accident), but I always got lucky and found it worked just as well as the real thing. I paid about $185 for this item... I do hope it actually works when I get it. *fingers crossed*

So, have you had any experiences with the support staff? Are they generally friendly? Do they speak English or go through translators?

post edited by athenian200 on 10/26/2014 at 11:42 AM
  • Znipo Sunday, October 26, 2014 1:39 PM Reply
    The support is very friendly, their english is also very good, some minor mistakes sometimes (depends on person), but its not some whacky google translation, small grammar mistakes.

And about broken items etc
    Ive never had any issues getting a replacement sent out to me (Free of charge, no shipping fees etc), or getting a full refund.
    About 100+ items ordered total (this account and a few others), and had to use it around 5-8 times i guess, never had any issues.
    One time i had even thrown away the original package etc (needed to report a "Dead on arrival" item), but they still issued me a refund.

Shipping time usually is around 2-3 weeks for me (4 weeks if you count the "gathering items" "Preparing order" etc) which is also very good, same time as any other website, or seller on ebay, but you NEVER get the same support as on DX.
    Dealextreme really is the BEST website, hands down.
    Posts(53) | Reviews | Tip post

• athenian200 Saturday, November 8, 2014 1:51 PM Reply
    Well, I got my package in less than three weeks.

I'm using it right now to type this message. It's actually very nice for a sub-$200 Android laptop. It's kind of a long story, but I had to get an Android device in order to use a certain communication app, and I didn't want to be stuck looking at a tiny screen or typing on a touchscreen.

On top of that, I already have a Windows Phone and a Microsoft Surface, so I didn't want to switch either of those over to Android. This enables me to use Android apps when I must, and provides an amazingly efficient backup computer.

In any case, I'm really happy with my purchase. I'd definitely buy from here again! :)

«Reply to this thread (in Off Topic)
Off Topic

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere