Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Computer)
Computer

Cheap wifi (usb) card with strong reception?

• kimmyh51 Thursday, November 6, 2014 9:02 PM Reply
    Can anyone (who has actually brought it) recommend a good strong wifi card? For me please? I need a usb card which I can feel reasonably sure is going to be significantly stronger (as in receive wifi signal better) than the internal one in my laptop (qualcomm atheros ar5bwb222 in budget acer laptop just over 1 yr old)

I am currently living on a friends rural property, where I have no phone line and can only access the internet as follows:

Wifi booster/access point connected to friends router, 300m from me
    Access point/booster supports lineof sight up to 5km, however this is an orchard and there are multiple trees in the way.

I have 2 laptops an ipad, a tablet and iphone, all meed internet access
    Only one of the two laptops can see the wifi booster signal from inside my place. So i am receiving the wifi on that laptop then using a program called virtual router, to create a local wifi access point which allows the other devices to connect to the laptop and share its connection.

The problem is that the laptop is only just ale to get the wifi booster signal using e built in wifi card.

So basically i need a usb wifi card which will give the laptop significantly stronger reception than the internal card.

If it could also function as a wifi access point (ie receive a wifi signal, then be configured as an access point which my other devices can connect to, to use the same connection) even better, but im really short of cash, so most important is just a wifi card which is plug and play and supported. Windblows 8, which will get a stronger signal than the internal card does. So my internal card is getting 3 bars sometimes four. Is there a cheap usb wifi card that anyone has brought which they feel pretty sure would give me 4- or 5 and a mo reliable signal than your standard laptop internal wifi card does?
    Thanks
    Posts(35) | Reviews | Tip post

• AndiBcool Saturday, November 8, 2014 12:22 AM Reply
    Dont know about good USB devices. I bought here some realtek chip based ones with antenna (2,4 Ghz only) quite some time ago. Thouse SKU: 106528 are quite good for my case ( since i need em for realtek mediaplayer). I dont know how good they work if the router is that far away.
    In your case i would try get a wifi repeater. It also depends what frequency you use. the 2,4Ghz is often overloaded while the 5 Ghz one is often not even used by anyone.

On the other hand you can also try use the Xiaomi Wifi Mini Router SKU: 343870 for repater and maybe reliable connection. You can also flash it with open WRT i heard. Since i dont have mine yet i cant really say if repeater or accesspoint works, but i bought it for the accesspoint reason for wired IP cams.
    If you look around you can find this router between 28-35$ somewhere else. Basicly it only costs around 20$ directly from Xiaomi i heard.
    Be aware gui is in chinese only, you can use translation or a programm in english ( someone on Xiaomi forums wrote) for settings.
    Posts(856) | Reviews | Tip post

post edited by AndiBcool on 11/8/2014 at 12:23 AM
«Reply to this thread (in Computer)
Computer

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere