Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Electronics)
Electronics

Wiring problem

• gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Saturday, May 16, 2015 9:02 PM Reply
    I had a double wall switch. One controls the ceiling light, the other controls one outlet. Like this. vv

http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00meBQjSilSaod/Double-Pole-Toggle-Switch-Combination.jpg
    img src: http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00meBQjSilSaod/Double-Pole-Toggle-Switch-Combination.jpg

The light switch was bad so I wanted to replace both switches with a single switch and have the outlet live all the time.

The problem. Instead of 4 separate (bare end) hot (black) wires, there's one single black wire, a blue and a red wire that are bare in the middle. (no ends) I hooked the single black wire and the blue wire to the switch and it works, but it controls both the light and switch. How do I bypass the switch so the outlet is live all the time?

I guess the blue wire is the neutral wire, but what is the red wire for?

EDIT - After giving it more thought, the blue wire must also be a 'hot'" wire or the switch wouldn't work. I assume that the red wire is neutral than?

Re-edit - I wired the black wire to the on (upper screw) position and the blue to the off position, if it matters. Would reversing them do anything?
    NO! I don't know why DX screwed up the site so badly.
    Ask them.
    Posts(12573) | Reviews | Tip post

post edited by gasbag11 on 5/19/2015 at 7:46 AM
  • gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Tuesday, May 19, 2015 6:16 AM Reply
    Heheh

I'm assuming either no one has seen this thread, or no one wants a part in helping me electrocute myself. :D
    Ask them.

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Tuesday, May 19, 2015 7:26 AM Reply
    No, we're all just horrified that you're breaking forum rules with that link to the image.

I recommend you do not have the outlet live all the time. Would an electrician really cost too much?
    Remembering 30 years.
    Posts(24952) | Reviews | Tip post

• gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Tuesday, May 19, 2015 7:54 AM Reply
    What's wrong with that link? It's made in China. :p

I recommend you do not have the outlet live all the time.

Why?

Ask them.

• PowerPhoto Tuesday, May 19, 2015 7:56 AM Reply

See if this help. Always contact your electrician before test this.

http://i.imgur.com/y4b2qVn.png?1
    img src: http://i.imgur.com/y4b2qVn.png?1

http://imgur.com/y4b2qVn
    Posts(222) | Reviews | Tip post

post edited by PowerPhoto on 5/19/2015 at 8:58 AM
  • sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Tuesday, May 19, 2015 8:07 AM Reply
    I've just looked up mains wiring colours and none of the normal colour schemes corresponds with what you described. All have green or green and yellow stripes for earth. Black and blue are both sometimes used for neutral. Black, blue and red are all used for phase. Considering how short a time you've had your multimeter for, do you really want to do this yourself?
    Remembering 30 years.

• matrix-neo Moderator Tuesday, May 19, 2015 8:14 AM Reply
    gb, gotta agree with sheepish on this, mains power plus lack of experience can mean danger, flashlights, ok you can fix those, but leave mains wiring to someone with experience
    Resistance is futile-give in to DX gadget craving!
    also a voluntary mod-be nice please!
    Have an enquiry? https://cs.dx.com/ticket/index

Posts(11865) | Reviews | Tip post

• gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Tuesday, May 19, 2015 8:27 AM Reply
    Considering how short a time you've had your multimeter for,

What multimeter? It never arrived, thanks to PostNL.

To complicate things further, I replaced a wall sconce a few months ago, and the only wires were a single black and single blue wire. So if the blue/black wires are the hot/neutral wire, wth is the red wire?

I guess I'll have to call an electrician. There goes my Thrunite TN32. Again. {sigh} :(..
    Ask them.

• ebpDoug Tuesday, May 19, 2015 8:28 AM Reply
    Normally, the hot wire (black) would go to one of the brass screws on the left. The other brass screw can be used to connect an out-going hot wire. Alternatively, the bar that connects the two can be broken off to make two independent circuits (in which case the breakers for the circuits must be ganged so if either on trips it will trip both).

The silver screws, not visible, would be the hot wires going to the respective circuits. Normally, all of the neutral wires (the "in" wire, that from the outlet, that from the light and any "outgoing" neutral wire would all be connected together using a wire "nut" ("Marrette" is a common US brand name, but there are many). Neutral is never switched.

In the US & Canada, black, red and blue are "hot" colors and neutral is always white.

With many switches, the power enters the load box (receptacle or light) and not the box with the switch. Black carries hot out to the switch and white brings it back to the load box.

I can't make sense of your wires. Effectively 2 red wires 2 blue wires 1 black wire? White wires? How many screws on your replacement switch, not counting the green one for grounding? It sounds like you have a "2-way" switch (single pole double throw, two are used to control one load from two different points, as for top & bottom of stairs, etc).
    Posts(1003) | Reviews | Tip post

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Tuesday, May 19, 2015 8:36 AM Reply
    What multimeter? It never arrived, thanks to PostNL.

Oh. Well, then. If you don't have anything you can use for taking measurements it's even more dangerous to do it yourself.
    Remembering 30 years.

Page 1 of 3
Go to Page:
«Reply to this thread (in Electronics)
Electronics

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere