Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Flashlights)
Flashlights

Warning! Fake XP-L emitters.

• gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Tuesday, June 16, 2015 9:13 PM Reply
    Apparently there are a lot of lights being released that have fake XP-L emitters according to some threads I've seen on another site, and budgetlightforum. vv

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/39771?page=1

I've been wondering how so many of the multi-emitter lights that have been listed here, and on another site could be so cheap.

The clear dome of genuine XP-Ls has the sides cut off and appears square from a head-on pic. The domes on the fake ones are totally round. They also seem to be very inferior compared to genuine ones. Be very careful if you want to buy a flashlight with XP-L LEDs.
    NO! I don't know why DX screwed up the site so badly.
    Ask them.
    Posts(12572) | Reviews | Tip post

• desolder Top 10 Forum Poster Wednesday, June 17, 2015 1:07 AM Reply
    Another vendor is calling them Kree LEDs. LOL!
    What's up with the scrubbed LED driver IC markings?
    What are they trying to hide?

Posts(7073) | Reviews | Tip post

• gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Wednesday, June 17, 2015 1:28 AM Reply
    LOL

The ones that have been listed here are N/A brand. N/A must be a big company. They make all kinds of things that are sold on a whole lotta sites. :D
    Ask them.

• djozz Thursday, June 25, 2015 8:18 PM Reply
    The leds do work fairly well but have a very cool tint like many cheap leds. First I thought they were Toshiba Leteras leds but they seem to be different after all. I'm in the process of returning the light to dx, a time-consuming operation :-(
    Posts(48) | Reviews | Tip post

• gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Thursday, June 25, 2015 8:50 PM Reply
    Someone mentioned that they may be made by Latticebright. Never heard that name, and don't know if they make decent LEDs or not.

Which ever company makes them, they probably also make the XM-L/XM-L2s in a lot of lights now. The descriptions used to say Cree XM-L/XM-L2, but most now just say N/A.
    Ask them.

• desolder Top 10 Forum Poster Friday, June 26, 2015 12:01 AM Reply
    I've never heard of Latticebright either. I'll have to keep a close eye on my next future flashlight purchase to make sure I don't get a Cree wannabe. Thanks for the heads up, gasbag11.
    What's up with the scrubbed LED driver IC markings?
    What are they trying to hide?

Posts(7073) | Reviews | Tip post

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Friday, June 26, 2015 3:55 PM Reply
    Yet more reason to disbelieve any specs DX lists. Are the Chinese words for "specifications" and "lies" the same?
    Remembering 30 years.
    Posts(24950) | Reviews | Tip post

• gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Friday, June 26, 2015 8:01 PM Reply
    Yet more reason to disbelieve any specs DX lists.

The sad part is that it's not just DX. It's not even just Chinese sites. A**z*n has some flashlight specs that would make Chinese sites look like third rate liars.

Unfortunately, buying online (from any site) means you damn well better know what you're buying, and be able to weed out the B.S. from the truth.
    Ask them.

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Tuesday, January 12, 2016 7:10 PM Reply

I should have looked a little harder before starting a new thread on the same topic. I found out a little more about LatticeBright: http://club.dx.com/forums/forums.dx/threadid.1444351.

There are a LOT of these fake XM-Ls around.

Remembering 30 years.
    Posts(24950) | Reviews | Tip post

«Reply to this thread (in Flashlights)
Flashlights

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere