Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Flashlights)
Flashlights

Flashlight recommendation? Reliable, AA, trow+zoom

• S10QaN Monday, September 21, 2015 7:20 PM Reply
    Hi,

I'm looking for a good quality flashlight that I wish to use with my Eneloop Pros.

- Bright
    - Preferably 2x AA.
    - Trowel + Zoom is really nifty
    - Known reliability and quality
    - Waterproofness doesn't hurt.

Do anyone have recommendation on any good flashlight that meet these criteria? Thanks in advance. ;)
    Posts(81) | Reviews | Tip post

post edited by S10QaN on 9/30/2015 at 11:32 PM
  • gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Monday, September 21, 2015 9:11 PM Reply
    If you liked the sk-68 you mentioned in your other thread, you can have a look through these. vv

http://www.dx.com/s/sk-68

There are other colors and some are MVP items. (ships in 24 hours)

Waterproof zoom lights are practically non-existent. They may be water resistant at best.

Most "good quality" name brand AA flashlights cost around $30.00 or more, and none are zoom lights. I have SKU:317919 and it's a very nice light, but it's sold out now.

If you want something really bright, you might want to consider lights that use rechargeable Li-ion cells. They can be very small, but amazingly bright.
    NO! I don't know why DX screwed up the site so badly.
    Ask them.
    Posts(12572) | Reviews | Tip post

• gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Tuesday, September 22, 2015 4:53 AM Reply
    I stand corrected. I saw some Convoy zoom lights that were just listed today, but on another site. Convoy are good quality lights that are generally less expensive than lights like Nitecore, Olight, etc. None used AA cells though.
    Ask them.

• gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Monday, September 28, 2015 2:11 AM Reply
    You're welcome.
    Ask them.

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Wednesday, September 30, 2015 10:26 AM Reply
    - Trowel + Zoom is really nifty

Fixed that for you.

When a zoom torch is zoomed it sucks in air (or water!) or ejects it. It cannot be water resistant unless it is not zoomed.
    Remembering 30 years.
    Posts(24950) | Reviews | Tip post

• S10QaN Wednesday, September 30, 2015 11:45 PM Reply
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'll get a SK-68 for sure, and I put the Nitecore in my wishlist (maybe it'll get back in stock). I also noticed it had several certifications such as CE.

I did try to search through DX's many flashlights, and have found a few candidates which is in stock. But I do not know whether or not the brand is good, or if you can tell me something about them that I don't know.

This looks really good: http://www.dx.com/p/sipik-sk75-cree-xr-e-q5-350lm-3-mode-white-zooming-flashlight-coffee-black-2-x-14500-aa-169280

Additional ones:
    http://www.dx.com/p/ultrafire-wf-606a-3w-cree-flashlight-2xaa-1xcr2-4238
    http://www.dx.com/p/aurora-sh0030-cree-xpe-wc-q5-5-mode-194-lumen-led-flashlight-with-extension-tube-26422
    http://www.dx.com/p/singfire-sf-78-cree-xr-e-r2-180lm-3-mode-white-flashlights-black-2-x-aa-245728
    http://www.dx.com/p/ultrafire-c3-cree-q5-wc-190-lumen-led-flashlight-with-extension-tube-1-aa-1-14500-44254
    http://www.dx.com/p/hugsby-p12-3w-cree-cr123a-flashlight-with-2xaa-extension-3184

Different emitters, different brands, I really don't really know many of them.

@gasbag11
    I just haven't had time to get around to this, but I can ensure you your input is appreciated. :)

@sheepish
    Thanks, corrected it now.

post edited by S10QaN on 9/30/2015 at 11:48 PM
  • gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Thursday, October 1, 2015 1:03 AM Reply
    I don't have any of the lights you linked to, but I probably have a dozen or so Ultrafire lights and never had any trouble with any of them, except a worn out switch in one that was easily replaced. Aside from the Singfire, most of those are older technology and not as efficient as newer lights. I don't have any Singfire lights so I can't comment on their quality.

I don't know if the Nitecore will be back. It's sold out on other sites too.

If you're willing to spend a little more money, check out the Nitecore EA41. It has a lot of features, uses 4 x AA cells, is pretty small and is very well made. It's one of my best lights. It's a lot cheaper on other sites though.

edit - Btw, I just saw a review of sku.169280 on another site. Apparently it's not really bright with AA cells, and would probably need 14500 Li-ion cells for full brightness.

Ask them.

post edited by gasbag11 on 10/1/2015 at 1:10 AM
  • S10QaN Thursday, October 1, 2015 5:22 AM Reply
    Thank you for your input. It was kind of the answer I was looking for. I actually suspected that those lights were old and inefficient.

And I think I just realized that what I really am looking for is a high quality flashlight, with a higher price tag that most likely is not to find here at DX.com. So your posts has indeed been useful indeed. It gave me perspective.

Nitecore looks like a nice brand in general, do you have any experience buying them on eBay?

The EA41 looks very nice, but it does not have trowel+zoom though (?). I am currently looking at Nitecore's webpage, a lot of interesting stuff.

I actually bought a new SK68, nice, cheap little light. Perfect to use on the loft.

post edited by S10QaN on 10/1/2015 at 5:34 AM
  • gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Thursday, October 1, 2015 6:53 AM Reply
    what I really am looking for is a high quality flashlight, with a higher price tag that most likely is not to find here at DX.com.

DX has some very good, high quality flashlights. You can search by name like Nitecore, Jetbeam, Klarus, Sunwayman, and Olight. Some are very competitively priced, and some are cheaper elsewhere. Some use AA batteries, but none are zoom lights though.

No, the EA41 does not have zoom. It has a narrow, bright center beam for long distance, but it also has a wide surround or "spill light" (the dimmer light around the center beam) so you can see things very close.

I've never bought anything from ebay, sorry.
    Ask them.

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Thursday, October 1, 2015 8:41 AM Reply
    From the voltage range of sku.169280 the cells must be in parallel. It would be much better to have 2xAA in series, but then to cope with 2x14500 in series the torch would need a more expensive buck/boost driver.

2xAA LED torches are not very common, sadly. People don't seem to dig them. You've done well to find those ones.

I like the SK-68. Good choice of colours, very versatile.
    Remembering 30 years.
    Posts(24950) | Reviews | Tip post

«Reply to this thread (in Flashlights)
Flashlights

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere