Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Computer)
Computer

guleek i8s win10 battery drain !!!! ? help

• Drg84 Sunday, May 29, 2016 8:27 PM Reply

Hi,

I bow a guleek i8s time ago and I noted that booting windows 10 I had no indication about the battery level and ... that after some minutes the i8s died cause the battery power was end ... connected to the power supply!

unfortunately I had no many time to investigate leaving my new i8s in its box (due my job that kept my busy for a long) and now I am back on that problem.

booting windows 10 everything works except:

- battery level

- battery charging

BUT

booting android

- battery level works

- battery charger work really well

I suppose that is cause windows 10 not knowing that it is using a battery pack use the entire CPU capacity all time comsupting mroe energy than the battery and the charger can supply (togheter).

Android cans do that ... but I need a windows system (that's why I am not using a raspeberry or other and I bow i8s)

did somebody has the same problems?

any idea how to solve that?

I check on guleek.com and there is a battery zip pack, I downloaded and istalled that (it contains two folder, BT and wifi, and an installer with short instruction) following the instruction but nothing changed.

thanks in advance

Posts(14) | Reviews | Tip post

• amyren Friday, June 17, 2016 2:13 PM Reply

I do have the same unit, but here it is charging as normal in both Windows 10 and Android.

This is probably a windows 10 issue. I did a google search and found many hits where people was complaining that their laptops failed to charge after upgrading from windows 8 to windows 10.

Some reported that they got it working again just by doing this:

Start the pc without tha charger connected. After windows have finished loading, wait some seconds and then connect the power. After this it did start to charge.

source: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-power/battery-not-charging-after-windows-10-upgrade/6fc7c662-6f0b-4cdc-a66f-2e2326ad30fb?auth=1

Just for your information, the microUSB can also be used as charger input. You can try if it works if you connect the microUSB to another computer or an usb charger.

Another solution I found by google was to uninstall the "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" (found under computer management, device drivers, battery). But this step-by-step guide was made for laptops, and was auming that you could disconnect your battery and run on AC power only while uninstalling. So I dont know if this can help you.

Source: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2747283/laptop-charge-upgrading-windows.html

But, what you can do first, is to check the version of this driver on your i8S. I notice that here the driver version is 10.0.10586.0 (dated 21.06.2006)

Check driver details. Actual files are c:\windows\system32\drivers\battc.sys and CmBatt.sys

Below there is a comment about file version 10.0.10586.0 (th2_release.151029-1700)

If your files have different version than mine, I guess I could zip my .sys files for you and email them to you for testing.

Posts(21) | Reviews | Tip post

• amyren Tuesday, June 21, 2016 6:15 AM Reply

I just realized something... and its not good news.

that is that the lifespan of this little computer most likely is very closely related to the lifespan of the battery.

The i8S can obviously not be powered directly from the ac adaptor. It gets the power from the battery which is charged by the psu. Then the day the battery is kaputt, then the i8S will apear as dead. This is the same way many cellphones work. They need a working battery to run and with a dead battery they wont start. But for most phones this is not a big problem, since the battery can be replaced. 

For the i8S, it looks like there need to be found a way to open the thing and either replace the battery at som point, or if possible rewire it internally so that it can operate without the battery.

Posts(21) | Reviews | Tip post

• domitor Saturday, September 14, 2019 8:30 PM Reply

Some one as resolved the problem?

Posts(3) | Reviews | Tip post

«Reply to this thread (in Computer)
Computer

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere