Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

What happens, if only one HDMI input is connected?

• mrjlo Tuesday, November 27, 2018 3:43 PM Reply

About this

https://www.dx.com/p/bstuo-4k-2k-3d-mini-3-port-hdmi-switch-1-4b-4k-switcher-hdmi-splitter-2082858

I wonder, what happens if only one active HDMI input is connected to INPUT1, and I select  INPUT2 or INPUT3 from the manual select button. Will it stay in INPUT2 or in INPUT3, or automatically change back to only active INPUT1?

My use case is this:

My laptop computer has both DisplayPort and HDMI output ports. The internal display is (only) 1920x1080p. Usually, when working, I have an external monitor connected to the DisplayPort and can show 2560x1440 in "External only"-mode. If I choose "mirror"-mode, the external 26" monitor will also switch to 1920x1080. But fine, I can select easily between "external only"- and "mirror"-modes with a keyboard shortcut.

Now, sometimes I want also watch movies from TV, which is 32" and supports 1920x1080p. So I connect it to the HDMI-connector of the laptop. But now, only "mirror" and "multi-display"-modes are supported, and the external monitor can only show also that 1920x1080p.

It is cumbersome and I think hazardous in a long run, continously attach and detach the HDMI-cable from TV or from PC. So I think if I would find a HDMI-switch, which would disconnect and connect from HDMI-output/input when wanted.

The HDMI-switch in question here in DX, I just wonder, if there is some automatic detection which is not what I would want. So if INPUT is changed from the active INPUT1 to the passive INPUT2 or INPUT3, does it stay there and keep INPUT1 disconnected to OUTPUT (TV), so PC would notice there is nothing connected to HDMI-connector? Or does it automatically switch back to INPUT1, and therefore PC sees HDMI-port active and refuse to show 2560x1440 on the external monitor?

There is many HDMI-switchies in DX, and some may have automatic detection, some may not. The best bet would be a mechanical switch, but I haven't found one.

Posts(79) | Reviews | Tip post

post edited by mrjlo on 12/8/2018 at 5:12 PM
  • Alisa-Deng @DX Staff @DX Staff Saturday, December 8, 2018 11:52 AM Reply

Hello @

Your question is for 460680? Or for other SKU?

Posts(1070) | Reviews | Tip post

• mrjlo Saturday, December 8, 2018 5:10 PM Reply
    Posts(79) | Reviews | Tip post

«Reply to this thread (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere