Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

Finally got a print from the printer! Here's how

• sanderj Saturday, August 15, 2009 6:24 AM Reply
    After a lot of searching and trying, I finally got a print from the printer!

Things done:
    - make sure a USB harddisk is connected, and it's seen (and shared?). The harddisk is needed for ... printing! Maybe a USB flash memory stick would work too.
    - make sure your USB printer is connected and recognized. FWIW: on my device, the USB2 LED to the printer is not on.
    - find out the IP address of your LAN-STORAGE bt device. I did that via 'nmblookup toverdoos' on my Linux
    - then setup printing with that IP address and the queue name "lpt1". On my Linux that results in lpd://192.168.2.143/lpt1
    - after that, printing works for me.

Note: I find the paper manual included with the box unreadable and unusable. And it says "lp1" (without a 't') as the queue name, which does not seem to work.

This device is really hard to use as a printer server.

Posts(19) | Reviews | Tip post

• no0ne Saturday, August 15, 2009 12:37 PM Reply
    In other words, it has so little memory that it needs to spool the job to a file in order to print...!

I suppose that it's with the stock os?
    Posts(2226) | Reviews | Tip post

• sanderj Saturday, August 15, 2009 1:35 PM Reply
    This is indeed with the stock OS.

I believe Snake OS does not need the harddisk to print...
    Posts(19) | Reviews | Tip post

• eliasalberto Friday, January 15, 2010 2:20 AM Reply
    I have bought the similar NS-K330 and had some trouble to make the printer work in Win Vista.

Connected the printer to it, and the printer was not recognized. Then, I followed the steps to add a new printer just as the manual says (add new local printer, create new printer port > standard tcp/ip port, and set the port as LPR with byte count enabled), but even then I was able to print only one line. So, I just attach a pendrive to the NAS, and the printer began to print normally. Probably the device is so low on memory it has to store a print buffer on the usb pendrive, so beware of that.
    Can I use this space to annoy people?
    Posts(553) | Reviews | Tip post

• peterfminternet Friday, February 04, 2011 3:55 PM Reply
    Where is the manual? I have not manual.
    Posts(6) | Reviews | Tip post

«Reply to this thread (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere